• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Important to remember...

25 posts in this topic

Its the summer time for most all of us, and with that being said Mosquitoes are everywhere. I was at our cabin last week, where they were just everywhere. Anyhow where I am getting with this post is keep your bug spray on even if you only go out for a bit. West Nile is very bad illness and I do not wish it on anybody. Doctors told me the other day I might have it. Some of the effects include, Nausea, Vomiting, Headaches, muscle aches, etc... Taken from the CDC website...

"What Are the Symptoms of WNV?

Serious Symptoms in a Few People. About one in 150 people infected with WNV will develop severe illness. The severe symptoms can include high fever, headache, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, vision loss, numbness and paralysis. These symptoms may last several weeks, and neurological effects may be permanent.

Milder Symptoms in Some People. Up to 20 percent of the people who become infected have symptoms such as fever, headache, and body aches, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes swollen lymph glands or a skin rash on the chest, stomach and back. Symptoms can last for as short as a few days, though even healthy people have become sick for several weeks.

No Symptoms in Most People. Approximately 80 percent of people (about 4 out of 5) who are infected with WNV will not show any symptoms at all. "

Keep your bug spray out! Edited to add I am in the middle one I think.

Post a coin to help me out here

You guys ain't never seen mosquitos like we have'em in Texas. They're big!!!

Hope ya get to feelin' better Bruce!

Not only that but they are by the millions... and thx bobby..

I’ll post this coin because this thread reminds me that more people died from disease than battle during the civil war. With that in mind, best of luck Bruce laughingviking.gif

1861O.JPG

Bruce, I can attest to the fact that WNV is very nasty. I contracted it in 2001 when we were building the house addition. Here in South Florida, we had real heavy rains that summer and there was ample standing water in the vacant lots that surrounded our house on three sides.That was the year that WNV first made an appearance in the U.S. It caused my brain to swell and I was bleeding through my sinuses. The swelling was so intense that it caused pressure against the eyes, and just looking from side to side made it feel like someone was hitting you in the back of the head with a hammer. I was shaking very hard with cold chills even though I was sweating profusely. My entire body ached and just being able to make it to the bathroom was a huge, huge effort. My temperature rose to 107 before the fever finally broke. The whole episode lasted about two weeks.

Chris

Here you go Bruce, hope this helps a little, 1932 D MS 64.

Best wishes and hope that it turns out well for you with a speedy road back to normal..

Rey

1932DObv-1.jpg

1932DRev-1.jpg

Bruce, I can attest to the fact that WNV is very nasty. I contracted it in 2001 when we were building the house addition. Here in South Florida, we had real heavy rains that summer and there was ample standing water in the vacant lots that surrounded our house on three sides.That was the year that WNV first made an appearance in the U.S. It caused my brain to swell and I was bleeding through my sinuses. The swelling was so intense that it caused pressure against the eyes, and just looking from side to side made it feel like someone was hitting you in the back of the head with a hammer. I was shaking very hard with cold chills even though I was sweating profusely. My entire body ached and just being able to make it to the bathroom was a huge, huge effort. My temperature rose to 107 before the fever finally broke. The whole episode lasted about two weeks.

Chris

Geeze, Chris. I once hit 104 with a horrible case of the flu and I thought I was going to die. I felt like I was freezing to death and took a hot shower wearing my PJs. Just couldn't get warm (although I was actually burning up). I was home alone and when I could sleep, I was having the strangest dreams/nightmares I can ever remember. Fevers that high will screw with your head!

That said, I am studying ornithology (bird science) and I feel quite comfortable being outside in GA this summer without bug spray. (Actually, as dry as it's been, mosquitos aren't really bad around here this year). West Nile is most dangerous to the old and young, and those who are immune-compromised. Most folks who actually get it don't feel any worse than they would with a bad cold. The CDC did a study that showed that only a handful (~3-8) mosquitoes per 1000 carried the disease in the epicenter of an outbreak.

If I was older, or if I had small children or a person with a funky immune system in the house, I would probably insist on bug spray, but as it is, I'm not too worried about it. Tick-bourne diseases creep me out more (and I'm at greater risk of them during my field work). Still, frequent tick-checks are easy enough. I'm mainly worried about the birds due to West Nile.

Sorry to those of you who actually got it, though. I hear that it's very unpleasant if you manage to contract it. The meningitis form is a real bruiser. It has an almost-10% mortality rate in the elderly!

41050-025-0030.jpg

41050-025-0030.jpg.0d879d86626a901139655069ec5402e3.jpg

hm...My image is scrolling. I don't like that, but I'm too lazy to change it.

Get better soon!!! lol

Sounds a bit hypocritical to me... hm

hm...My image is scrolling. I don't like that, but I'm too lazy to change it.

Get better soon!!! lol

Sounds a bit hypocritical to me... hm

Don't be a smartass. I'm not causing the entire thread (or even the text in my post) to scroll - just the image itself.

:)