• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New Shield 5c to Inaugurate the New Message Board Software

23 posts in this topic

Generally speaking, I prefer business strikes to proofs, except in cases where the die used to coin a proof is an important variety or a pattern. I don't plan to put together a proof set of any series, and, for a long time, I've been ambivalent about including examples of the Shield 5c proof-only years in my collection. The following coin ended my ambivalence and gave me good reason to fill out my business strikes with the proof issues of 1877 & 1878.

Pictures courtesy of Mike Printz:

81014o.jpg

81014r.jpg

Wow, even Tom thought that was a cool shield. I like it also. Nice purchase congrats.gif

Yep, when Tom says "nice frickin' coin" about a Shield, it means that he suppressed the gag reflex. acclaim.gif

Wow, even Tom thought that was a cool shield. I like it also. Nice purchase congrats.gif

Yep, when Tom says "nice frickin' coin" about a Shield, it means that he suppressed the gag reflex. acclaim.gif

The new boards have me confused. :sick: By the way, where are the dancing banana and thinking man emoticons?

I may be picking up an 1880 in either MS or PF, I forget what I was told,

My bet is that it will be a proof. MS coins are almost unheard of and many of the slabbed MS coins are really proofs.