• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin question

10 posts in this topic

I hope to post this here because people seem to be more understanding than other forums. I really *cant* seem to get over this stupid bit about this coin despite lots of advice. Some people even said to sell the coin. But I like it, I really don't want to sell it even though I lose sleep over it. I hope people here can be understanding about this thread like my other stupid thread. Remember the thread I made about my slab? OK, while I asked it on the NGC forum and they said they cannot comment on PCGS coins/slabs, so I sent an email to PCGS.

OK, now onto my question. Is anyone familiar with $20 liberties? This is a really minor issue but its bugging me. There appears to be contact marks and wear on the hair of liberty. But--how could this be if the coin is mintstate? I was told that since these were most likely bulk graded some might've been overgraded. (1904 is one of the most common $20 libs)

OK, here are three pictures. The first one is of the hair, the second one is a better overall picture of the coin I got, and the third one is another coin (not mine) that also seems to have the same thing.

Sorry for the bad pictures!

best20.jpg

20dollarLIBERTYBESTOBVERSE.jpg

*// Notice the weakness on the hair.

210558.jpg

sign-rantpost.gif

Sorry for posting this.

I believe MS62 is the correct grade. I'm no expert, but the hair is possibly a result of a weak strike and not wear.

Here is an image of my MS62 which also shows weak hair detail. I'm sure someone with more experience can explain this much better than I. I certainly wouldn't let it rob me of any sleep. laugh.gif

04DoubEagob549.jpg

There is nothing wrong with your coin. It is just a MS62 $20. You are going to notice more ticks and dings on the '62 than a MS63,MS65, or higher grade.

First thing is you must please yourself. If you like the coin keep it! If you don't like the coin return it to the dealer if you can or sell it! Nuf said.

I believe MS62 is the correct grade. I'm no expert, but the hair is possibly a result of a weak strike and not wear.

Here is an image of my MS62 which also shows weak hair detail. I'm sure someone with more experience can explain this much better than I. I certainly wouldn't let it rob me of any sleep. laugh.gif

04DoubEagob549.jpg

Ahh yes! That's probably it. My friend dennis looked at it personally and said it could possibly be a weak strike also. Yeah, I tend to obess and worry about my coins alot. Too much. I'm glad you answered my question, it brings me peace of mind.

Thank you!

There is nothing wrong with your coin. It is just a MS62 $20. You are going to notice more ticks and dings on the '62 than a MS63,MS65, or higher grade.

First thing is you must please yourself. If you like the coin keep it! If you don't like the coin return it to the dealer if you can or sell it! Nuf said.

Yeah, definitely MS62 has alot more bagmarks.

thanks!

I appreciate your help!

One more thing robec1347...I've noticed that many of these have the same thing, what appears to be, like you said, a weak strike. But according to my book the 1904 is supposed to have a strong strike. Why do you think this is?

I guess it all depends on the die state. For example my 1908 saint gaudens was a late die state, and its luster was subdued, when generally coins from that time (with the exception of the 1908) had blazing luster. Maybe its the same thing with the liberty except not the luster but the strike.

For one thing, if the luster isn't broken, it's strike weakness, not wear, and fully worthy of an MS designation.

For another thing, it's become common practice to "market grade" the very choicest technically AU pieces anyway. In the marketplace, the very nicest AU coins usually sell for MS-61 or MS-62 money anyway, so the services have become more into "pricing" coins than grading them. So even if it were technically AU-58, if the graders think it would likely sell for MS-62 money anyway, they'd be more likely to grade it 62.

Just because the 1904 double eagles are generally supposed to have a strong strike doesn't mean that every coin will have a strong strike.

Each coin is a little different from every other coin - that's why picky collectors can often find a nice example of a coin that typically comes weakly struck.

(And, of course, why there are less nice examples of a coin that typically comes well struck.)

I agree that the 62 is an acceptable grade for the coin. I like the coin and would be fine with it Stinkycheese.

Good one.

Rey

I agree that the 62 is an acceptable grade for the coin. I like the coin and would be fine with it Stinkycheese.

Good one.

Rey

Thanks Rey. How you liking this new form? I wish I they had better smilies.