• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prez Proofs Phlop!

15 posts in this topic

This is just my opinion, but after examining 7 sets, I doubt there will be too many PF69's or PF70's coming out of the Mint. I thought that proofs were supposed to be handled with kid gloves from beginning to end? It doesn't appear that way. I thought they were supposed to be carefully inspected and the substandard specimens removed? Well, how did I get this junk? Is the Mint using OJT rookies to prepare the dies and process the coins?

Some of the coins have the splotches that someone already stated look like measles. One of the coins has a brownish-colored streak across the face. There are minute, shiny specks on almost every president. At first glance, they look like dings but I can only assume that this was caused by an improper application of the finish to the devices of the die. The cameo looks more like a sloppy attempt at a matte finish with the texture being too rough. In my opinion, the grainy effect should be finer and smoother.

What would I have to do to get one high-grade set? Buy 10,000 of them? I think not! I'll be returning these to the Mint for a refund, and I will forget about collecting the Prez Proofs. I'll stick to buying the UNC Mint rolls. At least the mark-up percentage isn't in triple digits.

Chris

You are absolutely right, Chris. Unfortunately, this is a plague that has permeated the U.S. Mint and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about until the mint wants to do something about it.We can complain and quit buying, but there are plenty to fill our shoes. This issue will soon command a premium for PF66. What a joke.

T Prez dollar's are so poor that I saw one place selling them for less than the mint.Think they were moving their inventory hoping that their next order would give better results when graded ??Guess when you push through 3 million coins a day per mint some just don't come out right.maybe 300 yrs they be worth 50 bucks which will buy a paper cup by then

Is it just possible that the mint is trying to produce so many different coins that they are hurrying everything through the presses. It's just like the old saying goes, you can't rush perfection. Could this be the problem, or is it just the lack of caring about the product? I hope the mint doesn't think like jesbroken had stated, there will always be someone else to buy even if we (educated collectors) don't!!!

I sent 10 set into NGC and they all came back PF69UC. I also got one set in the multi-holder. When I got my sets they all looked very nice. I still don't think you will see very many PF70UC. The local coin guy is sell a perfect 70 set in the multi-holder for $1995.00. I galdly told him that he was crazy....he told me that it was a deal....I told him yeah right....

Anyone also notice how easy it is to crack the case. Looks like a Whitman case...

SchatzyJr

I also think that these are the worse produced coins that the mint has come out with in over 40 yrs. I would presume that they are just trying to push these on the public so fast, that they aren't really caring about the quality. I'm sure they are just hoping that they won't be a flop like the last two dollar coins. They have spent more time on trying to sell this dollar than they have in trying to perfect it.

Now with all this negative talk about these coins, I'm really scared to even open my 10 sets when they arrive. I keep hearing this old song in my mind "Return to sender". insane.gif

Anyone also notice how easy it is to crack the case. Looks like a Whitman case...

SchatzyJr

It appears to be an unsealed snap-together that you can open and close!

I think the coins are very unique, on a positive note! The finish is very grainy but i think it makes a nice contrast. The coins do have a lot of flecks as other have noticed. I also am seeing hairlines on the reverses, possibly from inserting them with cotton gloves (I don't know how the coins get into the holders these days).

The worst problem is the edge. They gave it a heavy frosted finish and the lettering is hard to read. I wish they would strengthen the edge lettering on business strikes and proofs. The font is too fine. There are also raised bars showing on the edge between some words.

It appears to be an unsealed snap-together that you can open and close!

Since 1999 all of the proof set cases have been snap-togethers that can be opened and closed.

I did not know that either, probably because I haven't collected a proof set 1999 to present, but thanks for the info! And by the way I'm still waiting for my sets, 11 days in the mail, I'm starting to think the aliens took them! :D

The "raised bars" are from the small gap between adjoining edge die collar segments.