• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1$ Prez Proof Goof

9 posts in this topic

While in an earlier post I was all AGOG over my new "prez proof purty" that had arrived the other day, I cannot believe that I missed a mark or damage or whatever that has ruined its beauty. This is so big that I cannot imagine missing it. I have never seen this before(imagine that) but it appears that a print or mark of some kind got its own cameo treatment. Here are a couple of photos blown up to show the mark. I would appreciate all your opinions on what caused this and how it got the cameo look. Thanks.

20071Proofsetb.jpg

20071Proofseta.jpg

I'd have to agree with Bobby, I really don't know either. I guess I'll check mine closely when they arrive. It's funny that the mint is making so many mistakes on these new presidential coins. Kind of makes you wonder! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like a rough area within the planchet.

Either that or a strike through. Normally, these don't go for much (and actually decrease value on an other wise nice business strike). However, it being a proof will change things. To the right error collector, this would add a decent premium. Proof pieces generally have much more rigorous quality control, so errors rarely get out.

would it be wise to send it to NGC and have it slabbed/certified as to the type problem incurred or would that be of no benefit?

I'd send it back. It might be a strike through, or it actually looks like something corrosive got on it. Either way it is not attractive and I only see it as a big negative.