• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does the * (Star) do in terms of value??

19 posts in this topic

We all know NCG hands out the * to eye appealing coins. To the expierenced collector it may not mean much, since they usally already know the coin is nice and eye appealing. In this internet age it stands to reason that with the average quality of pictures put out on ebay, TT, Heritage and other action sites that the star does effect the value of a coin. There are many of us here think the star is cool, but worthless as we know when we see an eye appealing coin, but what about the other 99% of the coin market that does not post here? Many of those buyers buy slabs based on numbers or desiginations. So in this case the Star would help out alot. I got to thinking about the Merc I got yesterday, which I and many others know is a killer coin. I take good enough images for people to see the coin as it is, but many people cannot. So the question is what does a star coin usally bring as far as a premium goes?

I don't think there is any way to provide meaningful generalizations regarding what type of premium the star designation might result in. Like grading itself, the designation is subjective and inconsistent.

I also believe that in most cases, the coins will sell themselves (or not) based upon their eye-appeal (or lack thereof). The star designation might be more likely to matter in sight-unseen transactions.

Mark I agree it is not clear across the board, but just like any designation it usally carries a premium. I think 10% on most coins is fair, but many * coins go for more than that on there merits alone. Buy the coin not the holder.

I agree with Mark also. AS for me, I see the star as being an indication that the coin has a better look than many of it's type and grade. As for value, I don't think a dollar percentage would be an obtainable denomination. I think it merely depends on the buyer themselves. I would pay a little more for an eye appealing coin, but wouldn't go over my head knowing most star designations are no more than referring to as "Acceptionally Nice Toning". I know there are others that would pay way above premium for this eye appeal. So again, I think the value lies in the eyes of the beholder.

So Bobby if you had a few nice toners to sell on Ebay would you resubmit for the * if you were going to sell?

I really don't know what actually would get a star on a toner, or what would really stop a nice toner from getting a star. I've seen some nice toners on these forums in slabs but no stars. If I had some really nice toners, like sky's for instance, I don't think I would need the Star to sell it. It sells itself.

True coins like Skyman's should sell themselfs, but what about if the images were crappy. You would lose out. Some of the none starred toners were in slabs before the * was introduced. Overall I think I would want my coins starred just because people like them and they tend to sell better.

I hear ya Bruce. These coins are usually out of my price range all of the time anyway. That's why I've never really paid much attention to them.

The star designation has been out for years now, but I continue to have a love-hate relationship with it. It can make sight-unseen transactions easier, and can denote coins with superior luster characteristics, but it has been inconsistently applied. And, I would also argue that the stringent qualifications to get a star preclude some very nice coins from eligibility.

The star can be given for multiple reasons, so its up to the buyer to be able to understand why the coin has a star, and this will help determine value. Ultimately, as MarkFeld and others have said, the coin will probably sell itself. But it is nice to have the extra incentive of knowing the graders endorsed it as a nice coin.

The star doesn't affect the value in a direct, measurable way. Rather, it draws more attention or traffic to the coin so holdered.

I think you hit the nail... but say on ebay more attention usally equals more bids.

The star doesn't affect the value in a direct, measurable way. Rather, it draws more attention or traffic to the coin so holdered.

thumbsup2.gif

and if the coin in hand sight seen is a real killer then you got something there 893applaud-thumb.gif

What does the * (Star) do in terms of value??

Depends on the coin that it's attached to. Just trying to be helpful. smirk.gif

For my own collection, I prefer crusty un-messed with looking coins. I haven’t seen any of those with the star designation. I do however, give some preference to coins with stars when I am purchasing gifts. Most folks that I purchase gifts for are not students of numismatics but do appreciate nice coins and particularly toned coins. The star does add a little excitement to the gift. I’ll guestimate that I give the star a 10-15% increase in value. I don’t think that’s too much when one considers that a single grade point increase can result in an increase of over 100% in price.

a star just means very nice looking or exeptional eye apeel.i agree it depends on the coin if there is a price difference. like compaired to a 1890 * and 1990 * i would pay extra for the older harder to find with star coin not the newer coin.

it is also in the eye of beholder.ive seen some xf coins that looked awsome to me and it didnt have a star.i dont even think the star should be added due to they dont own the coin and it is there opinion that the coin looks great or not. it should just have a grade.

This is a * coin. Does it deserve it? I don't actively search for coins with a *. If I do see one, I pay extra attention to it. Depends on the coin if any premium will be paid.

DSCN3486A.jpg

yes! that coin deserves a star! the originality is brilliant! very nice ! but the toning sets me aside a bit! as for detail and condition i like!

The star can be given for multiple reasons, so its up to the buyer to be able to understand why the coin has a star, and this will help determine value. Ultimately, as MarkFeld and others have said, the coin will probably sell itself. But it is nice to have the extra incentive of knowing the graders endorsed it as a nice coin.

This pretty much reflects my opinion of the Star Designation. I have a 1958 Washington Quarter that came back PF 68 * Cameo. I did not expect it and all it really does is let me know that as coinman stated above that it has been identified by the graders as nice coin compared to others they have graded. It is nice to have that, but if an when it comes time to ever sell it, I would expect the coin to sell itself with no personal expectations on my end for a specific premium.

Rey