• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some ancients I bought yesterday

8 posts in this topic

Here are some ancients I bought a few days ago. Why is copper showing through the silver? I was told these were solid silver.

Also I've added new pictures of my $20 liberty, I managed to get better pictures of it.

Ancientcoinsreverse.jpg

AncientCoins.jpg

20dollarLIBERTYBESTOBVERSE.jpg

20dollarLIBERTYREVERSEBEST.jpg

The denarius started out as silver but as time went by they gradually devolved into a copper based coin with a silver plating or "wash".

awsome widows mite! mine isnt that original looking smile.gif great story that goes with the widows mite coin also smile.gif

The denarius started out as silver but as time went by they gradually devolved into a copper based coin with a silver plating or "wash".

Are you kidding me? Ugh, drat! I thought the coin was solid silver. Is this one just plated? I spent $15 on it. Did I overpay? The man who sold it to me told me it was solid silver, but I guess not...

Are you kidding me? Ugh, drat! I thought the coin was solid silver. Is this one just plated? I spent $15 on it. Did I overpay? The man who sold it to me told me it was solid silver, but I guess not...

I don't think you overpaid, Stinky. But a very good example of the need to do some research before beginning a new area of collecting!

I don't think you overpaid, Stinky. But a very good example of the need to do some research before beginning a new area of collecting!

Yes...I see..

Thank you

:sorry:

Yes...I see..

Thank you

:sorry:

Don't apologize for something that teaches a good lesson. Only apologize if, once presented with the lesson, you make the same error again! You should check out Forum Ancient Coins at www.forumancientcoins.com if you are going to start lkooking into ancients at all. Huge amount of info there.