• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp... Supurb Toned Merc....

29 posts in this topic

So while on vacation I see some coins in a case. They do not look like much, but I take a gander. Only 3 slabs, but I happened to like them all. 1897 1c NGC MS64 Toned, 1950 D 5c PCGS MS66, and a 1945 S Merc NGC MS67. I take a look at the penny first since I notice color. Forgot the asking price, and then I took a look at the 50 D, which also had a bit of color on it. As an afterthought I asked to look at the merc... MS 67 is pretty common for late date Mercs, but what the heck why not look. I take the coin and turned it over... WOW I knew I had to have it. So I left some money on the coin and then told the man I would pay him the rest when I got back into town. He shipped me the coin and I got it today. Your thoughts? Opinions? Comments...

45smerc2.jpg

45smerc1.jpg

45smerc.jpg

It's love at first sight (regarding the coin) cloud9.gif

Is is labeled FSB? It looks like it comes close 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The coin just missed the FB tag if you ask me. Very close!

I love this coin but I gotta say that I think these images you are taking with your new camera are spectacular as well. So, I give you two thumbs up thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

That is a very common toning pattern for 1945-S Mercs and quite a large hoard of them were scattered perhaps fifteen years ago. Many are slabbed as MS68, however, I have really never been able to tell the difference between the MS67 and MS68 coins from this hoard.

That is a very common toning pattern for 1945-S Mercs and quite a large hoard of them were scattered perhaps fifteen years ago. Many are slabbed as MS68, however, I have really never been able to tell the difference between the MS67 and MS68 coins from this hoard.

Cool thanks for the info. Would you happen to know the hoard name?

If I remember correctly these were found in a cardboard sav-a-dime folder of the type that banks issued in the late 1940s through 1960s and they were all 1945-S Mercs and all had very similar toning patterns. They were all submitted to NGC at first, but PCGS has crossed a number of pieces, too. Please note that this information might be incorrect, but I had done some research on these coins in the late 1990s and this is what I believe I found.

I love this coin but I gotta say that I think these images you are taking with your new camera are spectacular as well. So, I give you two thumbs up thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Winston do not sale yourself short. You take some great images as well.

What a beautiful coin, Bruce. I agree the photos are as nice as the coin. You certainly have the capability of photographing coins. Great purchase. By the way did you buy the IHC and Jeff nickel? If so, how about some pics. thumbsup2.gif

What a beautiful coin, Bruce. I agree the photos are as nice as the coin. You certainly have the capability of photographing coins. Great purchase. By the way did you buy the IHC and Jeff nickel? If so, how about some pics. thumbsup2.gif

I did not frown.gif I may give the man a call and see if he still has them. I did like the look of that Indian!

If I remember correctly these were found in a cardboard sav-a-dime folder of the type that banks issued in the late 1940s through 1960s and they were all 1945-S Mercs and all had very similar toning patterns. They were all submitted to NGC at first, but PCGS has crossed a number of pieces, too. Please note that this information might be incorrect, but I had done some research on these coins in the late 1990s and this is what I believe I found.
I believe that Tom is correct - I was grading at NGC during the time the coins were acquired and submitted.

I believe that Tom is correct - I was grading at NGC during the time the coins were acquired and submitted.

Thanks for the info Mark. Always good to know a coins province.

wow then that is w wild wonderful killer coin cloud9.gif

first merc. dime in unc i have ever liked thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I see your into moderns now... devil.gif

Very attractive coin Bruce and great pics!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd seen that pattern a few times before and was wondering what could cause it. It's nice to find out that it was a coin holder. I'd like to see the coin holder to find out why it gave that pattern. In any case COOL pickup.

All Merc look that way don't they a little dip and it will be good as new.'' Kidding great coin"

You joke about it.. but some nut would think it...