• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do All Coin Stores Keep Weird Hours?

11 posts in this topic

Granted, I just have a sampling of three stores, but two of them keep weird hours. One is open every day but Tuesday, and the other isn't open on Sunday through Tuesday, but when they are open (W-Sa) it's from 12:30-6.

Is there just something weird about coin stores or is it small number statistics?

Granted, I just have a sampling of three stores, but two of them keep weird hours. One is open every day but Tuesday, and the other isn't open on Sunday through Tuesday, but when they are open (W-Sa) it's from 12:30-6.

Is there just something weird about coin stores or is it small number statistics?

The stores I've dealt with have pretty typical hours for a business, ~8:00-5:00

Most stores I know are 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. They're usually open Tuesday-Saturday.

Keep in mind that many coin stores are mom & pop type and since they need to be open Saturday, they'll take Monday off to have a two-day "weekend".

As we got older and tireder, we finally (after having the kids not even want a coin/pawn shop for FREE) went to open ONLY on Mon, Tue, Thurs, an Friday.

Comes a time when ya say "heck wid it."

Retirement beats even FOUR days a week.

grin.gif

Two stores that I shop have these hours:

1) M, W, F 4:00-7:00 PM, Sat 10:00-5:00 PM

2) W, Th, F, Sat: 10:00-5:00 PM

Another has more regular hours: M-Sat 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

my friend he has a store in a small town and he is there when he is there

and if you realoly need to see him i call his house and usually his wife answers and she is well not too happy then i can get permission to talk to him and then he will tell me wyhen he will be there

other than that if you show up sometimes here is there sometimes he is not depending if he went to lunch or out on a call

these are the coin dealer shop hours of small coin dealers in my area

now this dealer good friend of mine is not as bad as some other married coin men i know as he does not have to ask his wife permission to take a dump but it is close

The one B&M shop in my town is open from 9-5 during the week and 9-1 on Sat. Some of the ones down in Phoenix keep different hours though. One in particular is by appointment only and I'm pretty certain the guy has a day job to boot.

L

Coin Shops are owned by individuals. If it is profitable for them to have the shop open during a certain, fixed time period they will do so. Its called free enterprise.

Location, low overhead, and high customer traffic is everything if you have a shop. While retail traffic is a key element, a shop makes money "buying it right", thereby realizing an instant profit (a huge advantage for shop owners is they are not competing with other dealers on the bourse). This material can be flipped at shows at bid (to both dealers and the public) to realize instant cash flow and profit; sort of like the exercise of stock options. This is one of the key advantages of owning a shop. The disadvantages are obvious - required presence, overhead expense, risk of bodily harm (robbery), and sacrifice of day job. Since my financial consulting business provides me with a really good "day job," I have never desired to have a shop with its disadvantages and risks. Instead I take tables at shows and have an online store. I would have fun operating a shop and have not ruled that out for the future.

A shop should have posted hours so customers can plan their shopping during times when the shop is open. In addition, the sign should be clearly labeled to the outside world and have the phrase "Rare Coins" somewhere in it. In addition, a shop owner should be a positive ambassador for Numismatics both from a professional ethics and customer cultivation point of view. While selling the big ticket stuff is important, having "junk boxes" for the less expensive coins and currency would be important in my opinion also. Frankly I like to see folks digging thru the junk boxes and it is always interesting to see what they finally come up with. Having interested customers is at least a start.