• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

well look what heritage is auctioning off....

12 posts in this topic

What a beautiful reverse! I only wish we had engravers today with 1/3 of the talent of those of the 18th & 19th centuries. Oh well, we don't.

While it would be a thrilling numismatic event if that indeed were a gold Half Union, such is NOT the case. It is a gilt copper piece - see here for part of the Heritage description:

1877 $50 Fifty Dollar, Judd-1547, Pollock-1720, Low R.7, PR63 Gilt NGC. A William Barber design with a large head of Liberty facing left. Liberty wears a coronet that is inscribed LIBERTY, the top of the coronet is ornamented with small beads. Thirteen stars surround the border with the date below. The reverse generally follows the design for the Type Three double eagle. Struck in copper and gilt with a reeded edge. The gilt is complete over both sides, which gives one the idea of what this massive pattern would look like when struck in gold..

I saw the two in the Smithsonian a few weeks ago, very cool. I suppose having one of the gilt patterns might also be cool, but it just doesn't have the density of GOLD! I'll just wait for the Smithsonian auction...

"What a beautiful reverse! I only wish we had engravers today with 1/3 of the talent of those of the 18th & 19th centuries. Oh well, we don't. "

I'm sure our engravers have that talent, I just think they are more restricted as to the designs they can make. Also, technology may hinder the way coins are made now as opposed to 100+ years ago.

THanks Russ for the post. It will be exciting to see what it goes for.

Not to say that politics did not play a part in the outcome of coin engraving in the 1700's and 1800's as it most certainly did, but the engraver's were trying to make an historical statement with most of their work, not just putting in an 8 hour day at the lab as I think is the case today(not near the detail of earilier engravers). JMO.

I am also impressed with some of Dcarr's stuff....

dnv.jpg

MM cool.gif

I love Dave Carrs stuff smile.gif and i always get first dibs of the new stuff he's in my coin club! smile.gif

Not to say that politics did not play a part in the outcome of coin engraving in the 1700's and 1800's as it most certainly did, but the engraver's were trying to make an historical statement with most of their work, not just putting in an 8 hour day at the lab as I think is the case today(not near the detail of earilier engravers). JMO.

Jim, my gut feel is that the limited relief that the Mint insists upon for all coins precludes a LOT of very nice designs. While a lot of the State quarters designs svck there are certainly quite a few that are attractive designs. Just imagine what they could look like if they weren't forced to to deal with minimal relief.