• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Identification Help: Medal and Token Experts

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was going through some of my many boxes of old coins i have collected since childhood, and ran across this one. I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me anything about it. I did some research long ago, and never find out anything about it on my own. So I thought I would ask the experts, see if they can tell me anything about it.

1797Obv.jpg

1797Rev.jpg

Thanks for your time

Shawn

I haven't seen this one before, but it appears to be a relatively modern piece that might have been either a gaming token or that could have been a giveaway piece.

Hi, Shawn! You said that you have had this since childhood. How old are you? My question is relevant because the medal doesn't appear to be that old. I don't recall ever seeing an older medal with the abbreviation, "USA".

Chris

Chris,

I am 34 years of age, I have been collecting coins since I was about 8 or 9. I bought an entire collection from an older gentleman around that time, that contained alot of various coins, including some odd items like this one. I have been storing them for years, and just dug them out of the safety deposit box a few months ago and have been going back through them. Hopefully this information is helpful. I never could find anything out about this token/Medal. It was just interesting to me, so I thought I would post a pic and see if anyone had any info on it.

Thanks for your time.

Shawn

I've had many of these, in aluminum. Probably, because they were made so inexpensively, I've never looked into them. Sold them for a couple of bucks.....

It's from the 1970's (think bicentennial) and it shows up (and is discussed on the various forums ) frequently. It was used for at least two purposes, a bangle on cosume jewelry braclets, and one clothing manufacurer used them as a jacket zipper pull