• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldtime collectors musta had it awful.

10 posts in this topic

Having a pile of hairlined proofs and stuff and none of em over 3 bucks in cost.

And CLEANED coins! Whoowie! Probly had bunches of them too interspersed with a drawer full of original bust stuff and old gold.

What hardships!

wink.gif

Having a pile of hairlined proofs and stuff and none of em over 3 bucks in cost.

And CLEANED coins! Whoowie! Probly had bunches of them too interspersed with a drawer full of original bust stuff and old gold.

What hardships!

wink.gif

Boy do I know what you mean. Probably had a few scrub brushes in the drawer also. grin.gif

What hardships!

wink.gif

Don't forget to include that we only had 1 shoe to walk on AND it had a nail in the heel poking you with each step....all this while walking uphill in both directions wherever we went in the freezing rain without a coat or hat tongue.gif

What hardships!

wink.gif

Don't forget to include that we only had 1 shoe to walk on AND it had a nail in the heel poking you with each step....all this while walking uphill in both directions wherever we went in the freezing rain without a coat or hat tongue.gif

I hate to show my age, but I remember those shoes. frown.gif

What hardships!

wink.gif

Interesting but very true statements. Amazing isn’t it when you think about it. I'd like to share from personal experience.

My father's coins, which he acquired many years ago over a very long time, at that time were of much less value for those times when compared with current day values in our times. It was also not unheard of for one to clean coins with the likes of baking soda and water. As a result, we have numerous coins, many of them very nice pieces, that have evidence of this type of cleaning. It's like the 1785 5 Kopecks that currently sits on his desk as a paperweight, or the 1772 2 Reales that I found loose in his desk last week. Not to mention the Gold Sovereign cuff-links he had made or the $20 Gold Necklace he had made for my mom. Times have changed, values have changed, the markets and collectors have changed.

I know that my father collected some coins with their potential value appreciation in mind, but for the most part he did it for the joy of collecting. To this day, he really is not that impressed with the monetary value of a coin, he would much rather talk about the coin, type, history, etc. The one thing that does stay constant IMO is the spirit of collecting that will always be there. Sure it bothers me that some of our coins have been cleaned but where they came from, when and how is more important to me in the end.

Rey

the worst thing i had to put up with was cordaroy pants :P followed closly by the mc hammer pants smile.gif