• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Acetone and how is it used?

15 posts in this topic

koko... Acetone is an organic solvent. It can be used to stop PVC damage [that green residue] on silver coins. It won't harm coins by itself, but some use it in conjunction with a Q-tip to lift out either dirt or the PVC. It's this rubbing with a Q-tip or other device that will harm the coin... especially coins in higher MS or PF condition where the hairlines will be much more evident.

Is acetone available at Lowe's or paint shops or where? EZest is not the same thing and ruins copper but does ok with silver.

Yes you can purchase 100% acetone at hardware stores in the paint section.

But be very careful it is highly flammable and not good to breath or absorb into the skin.

Rey

It is dimethyl-ketone. Ketones are organic solvents used for cleaning (degreasing) metal and to bond plastics. Acetone is very flammable and can cause euphoria and possible brain damage if over-inhaled. It should always be used outdoors.

Acetone is a solvent that will remove some stuff from metal. I used to work in a printing factory. We used blanket wash for rubber rollers and acetone for metal rollers. I took some acetone out to my car to clean up the engine and spilled some on the body. Paint was removed! I bought acetone from a hardware store and dipped some coins in it. It removed some stuff, but not most stuff. It evaporated soon after. Where did it go? I'm happy I had the windows open and that I don't smoke. smile.gif

Here is a Barber Quarter that I used acetone on:

1899-S-Pre-Acetone-o.jpg

Here is after the acetone soak and Q-tip rub:

1899-S-o.jpg

It was my best success with acetone. smile.gif

The acetone should just melt the pvc , etc... off the coin. I very nice rinse is usually all that's needed. No Wiping!!!! Nice work there carl. That barber looks much better.