• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan VAM Questions

8 posts in this topic

I was looking at two Morgans today (sorry, do not have images), one was an 1884 O and the other was an 1887. The 1884 was labeled O/O. When I looked at it closely the upper most prominent O has a secondary lower doubling slightly to the right. In addition, One Dollar also had the same doubling to the right of the prominant letters. All of these were a flat, low secondary image.

The 1887 had several die clashes evident on the obverse and reverse. One was a spike coming out diagonally from the neck/chin junction point, another was around the M in Unum and the adjacent star and was quite large. Immediately across from that one in the bend of the hair curls was a smaller one. On the Reverse there was a line extending from the left wing upwards next to the n in In.

I have looked on Vam World but have not been able to pinpoint which if any VAM would or may apply to each of these. Could it be the 1884-O is mechanical doubling only? The 1887 must be something, I just can't put my finger on it.

Thanks,

Rey

Rey, there are at least 17 varieties of the 1884 O/O, and it would be difficult to pinpoint which one you may have without images, both normal and close-up.

As for the 1887, die clashes are not ordinarily attributed unless letter transfers are involved, i.e. the "E" from LIBERTY or the "n" from In God We Trust as examples. The clashes you mentioned are not uncommon. The spike from the neck is from the eagle's right wing (viewer's left); the vertical mark between the eagle's right wing and the "n" in IGWT is from Liberty's neck.

There are other clashes that may also be found accompanying these:

Obverse

1) You may see marks left by the leaves from the wreath above her hair along the back of the neck.

2) There may also be remnants of the leaves around her lips and sometimes on the bridge of her nose.

Reverse

1) You may see a v-shape on its side between the eagle's wing and the righthand wreath. This is from Liberty's cap.

2) You might also see a partial or even an entire impression of Liberty's facial profile (chin, lips & nose) between the eagle's wing and the lefthand wreath.

As I said, these clashes by themselves are usually not attributed, but whenever you spot any of them it is always a good idea to examine the coin more closely to see if you can find any evidence of letter transfers. The most noteworthy is the "E" from LIBERTY, and it would be found between the eagle's tailfeathers and the wreath facing in a northeast direction on the reverse. The "n" from IGWT may be seen upside down in the obverse field below the spike from Liberty's neck. The problem with most clashes is that they have a tendency to fade as the dies continue to be used.

Chris

Thank you Chris and Pat,

I will take my 16X loupe with me next week and go take a closer look at these two, especially the 1887. It is in very good condition, so I am hoping that with some careful examination I can determine if there is additional evidence of transfers.

Thanks,

Rey

Thank you Chris and Pat,

I will take my 16X loupe with me next week and go take a closer look at these two, especially the 1887. It is in very good condition, so I am hoping that with some careful examination I can determine if there is additional evidence of transfers.

Thanks,

Rey

1887-P

VAM-1A

Donkey Tail. Die Break bottom right of D in DOLLAR

1887-P

VAM-2

7/6 curved line through bottom stem of 7

1887-P

VAM-5

Doubling is most prominent on last 87

1887-P

VAM-12

Alligator Eye. Doubled vertical line at front of Liberty's eye.

///////////////////////

These are all top 100 vams and are easily spotted with a 16X...The Vam 12 are pretty common IMO and are pretty easily spotted.I have picked up 3 or 4 by accident

//////////////////////

1887-P

VAM-1B

"E" Clash

This is a Top 50 and I have looked Far and wide and will continue too. It carries a bit of a premium so if you find it your buying.. thumbsup2.gif