• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Statehood quarter question

23 posts in this topic

I have a 2002 P Ohio Statehood Quarter that is gold colored likened to our Prez series. I assume a clad deal of some kind went wrong. I've not seen this before nor would I necessarily as these type errors are not interesting to me. I would just like some help identifying the type problem that exists here for knowledge's sake. I am posting a couple of photos which neither show the degree of gold that exists. the second is just to compare to other coins. According to the seller, this coin was removed from a bank roll , but I have no way of knowing this for sure, other than this seller has never lied to me. Thanks guys and gals.

2002POhioQuarterobvgold.jpg

2002POhioQtrcomparison.jpg

I've seen some that toned/discolored over time to be a gold/yellow color. I also know that some companies plated the quarters in 24k gold to make them special collectables though I can't see how you would just find one of those.

Looks to be the wrong gold coloring for the 24k type. I noticed contact marks. Are they silver colored under those Jim? May be an attempt to AT or environment coloring.

Bobby,

When you magnify them to look at them all coloration appears the same. But as you magnify it, the gold coloration seems to go away like you are looking through it. Got me. Maybe someone soaked it in Iodine. 27_laughing.gif

Edit---Just for your info the reverse is normal with no signs of discoloration.

I'm thinking environmental staining then Jim, maybe smoke??? I just don't think that would tone that way, but I'm not sure. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hate to appear negative but this is just the way that copper-nickel tones. Sometimes they turn goldish while other times they turn bluish.

You may be right lee, but this would have to have been the end Qtr in the roll. I see it sitting in a Dansco right now and I'm presuming by Jims post, this was the way he got the coin. 5 yrs as and end roll qtr? maybe so. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've got a lot of new nickels that toned just like that.

Here's one, the camera shows of more off the non-toned parts, than in person. This is how they come out of the roll.

toned006.jpg

toned005.jpg

Those are strange Richard. I haven't seen any of this on any of my statehoods, nickels, or anything else really. this looks like the same tint that comes across the Sacs to me. I would suspect some sort of haze instead of tone then.

Those are strange Richard. I haven't seen any of this on any of my statehoods, nickels, or anything else really. this looks like the same tint that comes across the Sacs to me. I would suspect some sort of haze instead of tone then.

Yeah, I can't imagine they would be toning already, and like I said there were quite a few out of the many rolls I had.

Often, there will be a film of grease on new coins from the dies and mint machinery. It tends to turn yellow like that over time. Actually, it is quite bad on 2005 nickels, and i sometimes find that this grease is struck-in, but not always.

Check the rim of the coin to see if a layer is missing.

I've seen these gold colored quarters twice. One was toned that color by a Sacagewa coin sitting on top of it for several months. The other came from a fresh roll of quarters from the bank.

Regarding the modern buffalo nickels, I've also seen the same color from nickels that were in a paper roll.

Hope this helps!

I have a set of quarters I have pulled from circulation and have been putting them in one of those maps of the united states with holes in each state for the quarter to be placed. It is a made for TV thing a relative gave me. Several of the earlier coin have started to tone. I have always assumed it was because the holder was not made up to usual coin collector standards and the paper and other materials used was without reguard to the coins. Several of them have taken on a glden tone.

No-No-No- I just seen a 2005 Buff on Ebay. In a PCGS holder certfied as a copperwashed Nickel go for $400+, even though thats not what I got, I like it.

I'm inclined to agree. Improper rinse. smile.gif

I have about 90 Mint-wrapped rolls of the States Quarters and they are kept in 50-roll storage boxes. I've noticed that some of the end coins are turning the golden color, but I also have and have seen some of the silver proofs turn this same color. I'm led to believe that the wash that is used to prepare the planchets for striking may have something to do with this.

Chris

Though I do not collect these quarters and nickels, I have also seen some of this gold toning in the quarters, not yet on the nickels. Maybe should have held on to them?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a 2002 P Ohio Statehood Quarter that is gold colored likened to our Prez series. I assume a clad deal of some kind went wrong. I've not seen this before nor would I necessarily as these type errors are not interesting to me. I would just like some help identifying the type problem that exists here for knowledge's sake. I am posting a couple of photos which neither show the degree of gold that exists. the second is just to compare to other coins. According to the seller, this coin was removed from a bank roll , but I have no way of knowing this for sure, other than this seller has never lied to me. Thanks guys and gals.

i think you should bite down on the coin, that way you would be sure it's not REAL gold.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Could merely be a gold-wash. Send to NGC for professional opinion rather than our WAG's !

What's a WAG?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not sure this can be said without the censor catching it.

Wild arse guess.