• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Nice Halo Toning"?

17 posts in this topic

What are y'all's thoughts on this one? Is this actual toning? Or is it something else more devious? It looks to me like the obverse, especially the field right of Columbus' head, might have been cleaned, leaving the middle "untoned."

eBay link

dsc00124uz4.jpg

dsc00162ep2.jpg

I would love to respond but the backgrounds/mat behind the coin are two different colors for the obv and rev. Is the coin mostly grey or mostly yellow? I do not own or collect these but I can tell you that they generally have better looking toning. This would be a pass for me.

No mixed message about this one. It looked off to me, for sure. I thought I'd see what the more knowledgeable folks here thought. Thanks for the feedback.

I agree here. Both sides actually look off. the Rev especially. The Obv looks to have "some" natural color but by far all of it natural. Not a nice coin in-hand I would bet.

$6.55 with 9 hours left to go in the auction...not much action on this one unless that last 60 seconds drives the price up to around $20. You never know what's going to happen on the bay.

For $10 and under with $2 S&H it would not be a bad deal just to see what Chris looks like in-hand. Not a whole lot invested if the coin turns out to be really fugly.

These are fun auctons to see if you can snag something realatively cheap...but by all means awb, do NOT bid this one up to a level of regret.

The pictures look enhanced to me. The cloth under the obv is brighter than the cloth under the rev. Same material tho'. I still don't trust the pics on this!

The problem with the coloring is that the white balance was thrown off by their lighting. When I adjusted it the coin's color looked consistent with ugly mud color.

I see where "amadeus-mozart" snagged it for $13.49..I did not know he was a coin collector also?

tell him to stick to tickling the ivories 27_laughing.gif

I see where "amadeus-mozart" snagged it for $13.49..I did not know he was a coin collector also?

tell him to stick to tickling the ivories 27_laughing.gif

He's storing his coins in the Piano.?1882927-th_monkeyCAGS0PMR.jpg

1882927-th_monkeyCAGS0PMR.jpg.a859c66ed37975c72133c033524df787.jpg

I agree with Wooden Jefferson that it would have been nice to see it in hand, and at $12 or so, not much lost if it did turn out to be junk. I bid on it at the very end, but as you've noted, the pianist got it. Maybe he'll let us know what it really looks like.