• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little help with opinions: 1890 $20 (big pics again)

19 posts in this topic

I have had this coin for many years. A raw purchase that I sent to NGC myself back around 2001. NGC graded this a '62. Now I have bought and handled many more 20's since. Have looked at pics on Heritage etc. I paid '62 wholesale money for the coin when I bought it, and it is worth a few hundred more now. But an MS 63 now wholesales for over 8K! Here is the last one that sold on Heritage:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=422&Lot_No=3218&src=pr

Here are 2 others:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=355&Lot_No=7850&src=pr

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=334&Lot_No=7864&src=pr

Here is an example of what is passing as a '62:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=450&Lot_No=1998&src=pr

Here is mine:

100_0748.jpg

100_0747.jpg

I am trying to decide whether to send this in for an attempt at a '63. Would I be stupid not to? confused.gif Did I get shafted?

What do you guys think?

I can't tell much from the images, but based upon the grade/price spread there is lots of upside compared to the relatively small amount of the re-grade fee. Of course if the coin has no realistic shot at an upgrade, the upside is pretty much meaningless. So, out of curiosity, would you be considering a re-grade if the value spread were only $100? Put another way, what do you think of the coin, itself?

Edited to add: The luster looks subdued and there appear to be numerous small contact marks on Liberty's face and neck which could legitimately limit the assigned grade.

Man, a 63 sure ain't what it used to be. To me, I wouldn't have graded any of the coins in those auctions above a 62, but maybe I am just too hard on type 3 libs. When I first looked at your coin, I thought no chance for an upgrade, but after looking at how PCGS graded those others, I would crack it and send it in to them!

There are some pretty good marks in the hair, face, and neck along with a couple rim nicks. Also, from the pics looks to lack full luster. If it was me, I definately would not crack it out of it's slab. But, for the extra value with the jump in grade, I think I would take a gamble on submitting for a re-grade.

To reiterate, I am seldom a proponent of resubmissions, but this is a coin that is so close, and the potential payoff so big, you should definitely do it. In fact, as others have suggested, it's worth resubmitting multiple times until you get the right grade!

Please keep us informed of the results.

Dave,

I would tend to say yes and to go ahead and send it in. I have an 1858 $20 MS 61 that does not set well with me which at some point I will most likely re-submit. It would be interesting to see if either or both upgrade.

Rey

my best guess is, from your photo, and examining the auction histories for ms63s is that you'd stand a good chance of eventually getting this into a 63 holder, unless there's something i'm not seeing that ngc felt should knock it down a notch to a 62.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I am not a re-grader either, but sometimes...

I will review with my dealer later this Summer, and if he agrees, I will probably send it to PCGS. I think I have a 50/50 chance of success, so what the hey...

If it does score, you will see a new post here with lots of new coins!

I have looked at many $20 Libs that were in MS63, PCGS holders that were more scuffy than yours. I would give it a shot!