• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ask NGC a question?

11 posts in this topic

How long does it take for NGC to answer and/or post your question on the NGC forum. I sent a question 2 to 3 days ago and it said they had to review the post first before posting it. Here is the body of the post-is it an unfair question to ask?

Hey guys/gals,

I have a question regarding Body Bagging of coins. Why, assuming your client, us, has paid their fees to have a coin graded and it then turns out to be rejected, do you not give a detailed explanation as to its rejection status. It cannot be due to extra expense as it is a momentary thing-mere seconds. Plus, your client has paid to have it slabbed and gone through quality control which does not occur giving your company somewhat of a gain. Your clients feel as if you are snubbing them for wasting your time with such a coin by not giving definitive information as to the rejection. I know of no one who feels badly for a rejection if they know exactly why as they learn this way.

Thank you for your time.

Jim

I thought I was asking very nicely and that it is a question I see occasionally on this and other forums.

Guess not.

I asked one about a week or so ago and I still haven't seen mine, same thing with Ask PMG. My question had to do with the 2000 Millenium set and how to submit the coins and dollar bill.

I have been waiting three weeks. Still no answer. confused-smiley-013.gif Mabeye they dont like questions that make them look bad gossip.gif I believe you have a very good and valid point they have no problem taking are money what will it hurt them to tell us why our coin was BB'd frustrated.gif

i have tried to ask this same question and not recieved an awsner. my thaught on this is if we know what caused it to body bag then we wont send bb coins and they would have to do the grading and slabbing on every coin. loosing out on free( somewhat free) money.

i think of it as if i was doing work say on a yard and was paid so much to do something. if i wasnt able to say move a rock i needed to i would just put down on paper couldnt do it but u still owe me for doing it.

i pay them to grade/slab/mail my coin/s and when they dont do that i figure i shouldnt have to pay due to it not being done. they can be paid for 20 coins bb 10 of them and still make full money when they had to do half the work (imo).

the least they could do is like anacs and slab the coin as cleaned or damaged.that would make me feel as tho they did what they were paid to do grade/SLAB/mail.

What exactly is your question. It reads more like a rant to me. I'm pretty new here, and I've seen it every few weeks.

NGC goes out of there way to tell you coins may get BB'd, that you will get charged the full price and will provide the reasons a coin may get BB'd. Pretty vague reasons (IMO) but reasons.

My question is, why doesn't NGC allow the option to go through NCS for BB's. Costs more, obviously but to me as a collector, I'd rather get a grade and get the coin preserved, than nothing.

Why would I (naive collector) buy a coin that I knew had to go through NCS first and then NGC and it might not make it to NGC. I'm always going to submit to NGC, so help me out.

What exactly is your question. It reads more like a rant to me. I'm pretty new here, and I've seen it every few weeks.

NGC goes out of there way to tell you coins may get BB'd, that you will get charged the full price and will provide the reasons a coin may get BB'd. Pretty vague reasons (IMO) but reasons.

My question is, why doesn't NGC allow the option to go through NCS for BB's. Costs more, obviously but to me as a collector, I'd rather get a grade and get the coin preserved, than nothing.

Why would I (naive collector) buy a coin that I knew had to go through NCS first and then NGC and it might not make it to NGC. I'm always going to submit to NGC, so help me out.

why is it a coin can go in a slab that says" beautiful uncirculated" but cant have a slab that says " genuine cleaned" or like anacs give detail number and bb reason.

they do tell us that the coins can bb and that it is same cost but what keeps them from being overwelmed with orders and just throw some bb in to speed it up. ive seen full orders bbed 20 some bbs in a single order. that is just wrong getting all that money and not having to do anything but look @ the item.

i do and will send coins to ngc but would like to see just a lil change smile.gif

I asked one about a week or so ago and I still haven't seen mine, same thing with Ask PMG. My question had to do with the 2000 Millenium set and how to submit the coins and dollar bill.

I asked this question a while back. here's the answer I received from NGC.

Now for the post. Jim it looks more like a complaint than a question. It may take a while for them to respond to that. I know it can take as long as 2 weeks to get an answer from them though.

So do you fill out both forms and submit to one and when they are finished they send it to the other?

I'm pretty sure that's the way I understand it. They will open the package for the coins and grade those and as long as your a member and pay all that needs to be paid, the dollar will go straight over to PMG for grading. Also, the dollar note can always be related to the mellinium set due to it's serial #. So you don't have to have that graded at the same time as the coins if you don't want to.

I believe that the answers to the questions in this thread can be found in the Ask NGC forum. I know I've seen every single question asked/answered there at least once.

Brief answers:

1) The do give a reason for a BB. Their reason is better than any of the other services. You'll get a "Rev Cleaned" or "Rim Filed at 12:00" on a sticker on the bodybag.

2) The services SAY you don't get a refund on grading fees for a bodybagged coin because they do basically the same amount of work. The TRUE answer: Because they don't have to. You'll still submit coins to them knowing that you'll eat the entire fee if they bag the coin. We all will.

3) NGC to NCS for bodybagged coins is too much work for them. At least that is the answer I got a couple years ago. Too hard to keep track of the coins where some slabbed at NGC and others at NCS. What should NCS do to the coins? Slab them or curate them in hopes of slabbing at NGC? What if a beautifully toned coin is called AT by NGC. They send it to NCS and remove the toning and it slabs "white" at NGC. It's now worth 1/10 of the value. Would you be happy? Better to let the submitter make their desire clear.

BTW, you can send your coins to NCS for details grading. Those that are problem free are transferred to NGC for $3 extra (I think that is the current charge). Those that would bag at NGC are slabbed at NCS.

believe that the answers to the questions in this thread can be found in the Ask NGC forum. I know I've seen every single question asked/answered there at least once.

Brief answers:

1) The do give a reason for a BB. Their reason is better than any of the other services. You'll get a "Rev Cleaned" or "Rim Filed at 12:00" on a sticker on the bodybag.

2) The services SAY you don't get a refund on grading fees for a bodybagged coin because they do basically the same amount of work. The TRUE answer: Because they don't have to. You'll still submit coins to them knowing that you'll eat the entire fee if they bag the coin. We all will.

3) NGC to NCS for bodybagged coins is too much work for them. At least that is the answer I got a couple years ago. Too hard to keep track of the coins where some slabbed at NGC and others at NCS. What should NCS do to the coins? Slab them or curate them in hopes of slabbing at NGC? What if a beautifully toned coin is called AT by NGC. They send it to NCS and remove the toning and it slabs "white" at NGC. It's now worth 1/10 of the value. Would you be happy? Better to let the submitter make their desire clear.

BTW, you can send your coins to NCS for details grading. Those that are problem free are transferred to NGC for $3 extra (I think that is the current charge). Those that would bag at NGC are slabbed at NCS.

As I said in my post, I do not have a problem with the charges as they most certainly do advertise that fact. I do not agree with you in regards to they give the best description of the reason for rejection. Yellow sticky notes with scratches or with improperly cleaned when its not obvious at all that it had been cleaned. I was not aware of the $3 fee to upgrade to slab from NCS via NGC if problem free. That would make far better sense. It still would be no problem for anyone to write a one sentence line saying exactly why they were BB'd rather than one word info stickers. JMO