• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS. PCI. AT? NT? Both AT? Both NT?

14 posts in this topic

Here's a couple of Jeffersons I've picked up over the last few months.

Is one of them AT? Are both of them AT? Maybe one is NT and the other is AT? Both NT??

Tell me what you think and why. Does the grading service who handled the coin influence your opinion?

Here's the first one:

jeff1.jpgjeff2.jpgjeff3.jpgjeff4.jpgjeff5.jpg

Here's the other one:

jeff6.jpgjeff7.jpgjeff8.jpg

The PCI is AT, and I do believe the PCGS is NT. Nothing to do with the slabs, going by all color here. The violets and dark greens are characteristic of AT'g a jefferson. The second is the famous colors for NT on a jefferson. That's my Opinion!! yay.gif

I agree with Bobby. A 2001 coin hasn't had much time to tone that vibrantly naturally. And the colors are too vibrant to be natural for a Jefferson. The SMS Jefferson looks more natural.

Yes, the grading company does effect a sort of reaction of the initial phase of determining what any coin has been through. If the grading service is a known company that have on occasion S -T -R -E -T -C -H -E -D the truth a wee bit, then it is to be considered into the whole equation.

Secondly, the year the coin was produced at the mint, like the 2001-S proof Jefferson comes into play. Natural Toning takes time, longer than a coin minted in the first year of the 21st Century.

Thirdly, the colors present on the coin itself. If they are wild circus colors, 9 chances out of 10 this coin was somehow enhanced to attain those huge differences in color tone. The 1967 Special Mint Set Jefferson shown has those subtle color changes that appear naturally to a coin that has copper in it's content, changes that occurred over a 40 year time span.

Fourth, if you do your homework and stay on top of the market, you’d find that PCGS has refused to grade wild colored Jefferson nickels after discovering a doctor in the Chicago area putt’em them out like pancakes.

Fifth, I own Jefferson nickels that have this natural toning as does the 1967. I also own the modern proof Jefferson's and NONE of those coins has even thought about turning into a rainbow of psychedelics colors, yet.

As the others have indicated and as my first impressions were prior to reading the other replies, the first is AT and the second NT.

Rey

the color pattern is also very telling. The ring shaped toning of the PCGS coin is a classic example of OGP toning. The sharp progression of colors in the PCI coin is a red flag every time.

I don't care for the look of either. To me, they are coins worth 50 cents each. Well, I guess the SMS coin is worth a little more than that, but basically, I think both coins are unattractive.

I know dittely squat about nickel, but my senses, from what I've been viewing on this board, is that the pci coin is definitely AT and the PCGS coin likely NT.

I don't care for the look of either. To me, they are coins worth 50 cents each. Well, I guess the SMS coin is worth a little more than that, but basically, I think both coins are unattractive.

James, I wish you were the judge and jury of this thread!

I might then have a shot at winning!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Both are questionable to me...

The first looks AT to me. The colors don't look believable.

The second looks NT. I've seen coins that look simlar in proof sets before, and yellow and blue are common toning colors on nickel. I don't recall seeing this type of toning on an SMS coin though, thus I still have some unresolved questions...

The holders mean nothing to me in forming an opinion on the coins.

Disclaimer: Photographs can be deceiving, and I am anything but an expert in modern toners.

That said, I don't find either of them particularly attractive, and would likely purchase neither.

All IMHO...Mike