• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your counterfeit coins here

62 posts in this topic

These are two pieces that I made in my basement and not only fooled the dealer I sold them to, but also fooled PCGS when he submitted them. I wouldn't want to be the person holding these coins now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

LIBERTYHEADOB.jpg

BeautifulBEST-1.jpg

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I have two: The first I don't know why anybody would fake other than to pass it off as Silver. I found it in a bag of foriegn coins I purchased.

fakes002.jpg

fakes001.jpg

and the Second: pretty obvious once you know what to look for, however, I did see one sell for over $200.00 and recieved positive feedback. This one I bought at my coin club for $35.00 as a possible altered coin, I was pretty confident it was fake when I tried to sell it on Ebay as a possible fake. It didn't take long for the Emails to come flying in, it actually sold, but I told the buyer I couldn't sell it knowing it was a fake so I refunded his money.

fakes005.jpg

Here are a few from my collection. These have a stamped copper core with a very thin electroplated silver skin (I've cut one in half to show the center). They were made by the Government of North Viet Nam during the wars with the French and U.S. They were made in bulk and distributed all over the orient as a way of helping finance the wars.

The counterfeits include French, U.S., Japanese, and Chinese silver dollars. The U.S. coins include Trade Dollars, Seated Dollars, Morgans, and Peace dollars.

Most informed collectors are aware of the large influx of counterfeit U.S. Trade Dollars, but there are also lots of counterfeit French and Japanese Trade Dollars as well.

I'm told some of these coins are still used as a unit of trade on remote areas of Laos, Cambodia, and Viet Nam. The natives know they are counterfeit, but use them anyway - they are better than shells or rocks.

57035313.jpg

57035314.jpg

57093504.jpg

57099507.jpg

57059731.jpg

This one is the correct weight, and passes the rub test for content. It is a struck counterfeit.

92s-3.jpg

92s-4.jpg

Wow! That coin looks real. That is a good fake. How did you find out it was counterfeit?

So the what jumps out at me is the separation between the 9 & 1 correct??

Also to add, that on a genuine 1914-D cent, there would be no trace of the designer's initials, "VDB," at the truncation of Lincoln's bust. If the initials are there, it's probably an altered 1944-D cent.

So the what jumps out at me is the separation between the 9 & 1 correct??

Also to add, that on a genuine 1914-D cent, there would be no trace of the designer's initials, "VDB," at the truncation of Lincoln's bust. If the initials are there, it's probably an altered 1944-D cent.

Good info. thumbsup2.gif

I would like to comment on the counterfeit silver dollars and trade dollars that have been posted. Notice the denticles around the rims. There are spots where the denticles turn into beads on each of these. This is one of the areas I pay particular attention to on these. Also notice that that the grain stalks behind Liberty on the trade dollars are not struck up. It's in a protected area that would be the last to wear. Counterfeits are often weak in this area.

I also want to comment on the first trime in this thread. Notice how crude the outline of the star is. This is a sign of a hand cut die. Genuine pieces are quite sharp in this area. I have seen an even cruder counterfeit that this one. On that piece the outlines didn't even meet on some points, and on other points the outlines went beyond meeting.

I'll also comment on the 1892-S half eagle. On this piece, the neck (both front and back of the neck) is mushy. You don't see that on real half eagles.

This one is the correct weight, and passes the rub test for content. It is a struck counterfeit.

92s-3.jpg

92s-4.jpg

Wow! That coin looks real. That is a good fake. How did you find out it was counterfeit?

wow good lookin die struck forgery

Tough one to tell - in-hand, the color is wrong - too coppery. Very minor transfer die flaws. Counterfeited contemporarily in Europe. Hoot

1881541-1912counterfeit%242.5Indian.JPG

589a92e05ac16_1881541-1912counterfeit2.5Indian.JPG.a10f2565c72f8fa98d6decb92b36aa44.JPG

I guess you would have to have a keen eye to recognize some of these. I've not much knowledge on gold. That one would fool me Hoot!

I hope other people can add some of the counterfeit coins they have. I'm always looking to buy counterfeit gold coins, if anyone has one!

The other day (several weeks ago) I was at my local coin show, I saw a lead counterfeit of a 2 1/2 gold piece. People would gold plate them and pass them off as 2 1/2 gold pieces, and they were heavy too because of the lead. It cost 10 bucks though, so I didn't buy it. I'd rather it still have the gold plating on it.

1912 half-eagle: eagle's lower beak and top edge of Indian's headband a little off. Eagle's right wing top geometry off slightly. As Hoot said, couple bumbs in the field not right, especially up below ER in America.

Here are photos of the three counterfeit/replicas that I own. Thankfully, these were purchased for $2-3 as curiosities.

stellatradehalf.jpg

Hope more people can post their cool counterfeit coins! Last month at the coin show I found a lead counterfeit 2 1/2 gold coin. People would plate it with gold and it felt heavy like gold since it was lead.

I have over 100 counterfeits, most of them terrible cast pieces. I pluck them out of silver and coin deals all the time and keep them for reference and protection. Not really to protect the c/f's, but to protect people from the c/f's!

Many seated halves, many morgans, a few three-cent silvers, even a 1972 Washington Quarter!?!?!?

Anyway, here's a few.

1794 with date altered to 1793. doh!

1793-cf-800.jpg

1833 Half - Cast Counterfeit

1833-50c.jpg

1838 Lettered Edge Half - Looks like a casting, but the edge lettering is pretty strong. Hmmmmm.... Could be struck?

1838-50c.jpg

1877-CC Half - Wow, just wow... Pretty nice casting

1877cc-50c-1.jpg

1877cc-50c-2.jpg

More to come, including a 23-S SLQ, 3-Legger, S-VDB, Rosa Americana Electrotype, and some gold.

I have over 100 counterfeits, most of them terrible cast pieces. I pluck them out of silver and coin deals all the time and keep them for reference and protection. Not really to protect the c/f's, but to protect people from the c/f's!

Many seated halves, many morgans, a few three-cent silvers, even a 1972 Washington Quarter!?!?!?

Anyway, here's a few.

1794 with date altered to 1793. doh!

1793-cf-800.jpg

1833 Half - Cast Counterfeit

1833-50c.jpg

1838 Lettered Edge Half - Looks like a casting, but the edge lettering is pretty strong. Hmmmmm.... Could be struck?

1838-50c.jpg

1877-CC Half - Wow, just wow... Pretty nice casting

1877cc-50c-1.jpg

1877cc-50c-2.jpg

More to come, including a 23-S SLQ, 3-Legger, S-VDB, Rosa Americana Electrotype, and some gold.

Please show the gold! I'm very interested in counterfeit gold.

Please show the gold! I'm very interested in counterfeit gold.

Stinky, I will get some of the gold photo'd this weekend. NOTHING I post here is for sale. They are my numismatic mistakes (and deliberate pickouts) and I hold them for educational purposes and close study. They will NEVER be for sale - ultimately when I have met my demise, I would like them to go the the ANA youth program for numismatic education.