• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My other NEWP of the day, a nice new $20

29 posts in this topic

Gold is not an area I really know about; but that looks like a dang clean coin (for gold) to me. I'm betting the luster is good and the pics don't reflect it.

I'll say MS65.

Great looking coin.

To those of you who graded the coin (only) MS62 - why? We're looking at giant images and the marks appear to be quite minimal.

Here are (much smaller) images of a PCGS MS63 1904 example, for purposes of comparison:

94c8_1.JPG950a_1.JPG

alot of people see contact marks on gold an immedatley down grade it to lower unc levels, but remember gold is very soft more contact marks are allowed due to this softness

To those of you who graded the coin (only) MS62 - why?

Because I believe the darker photos are covering up chatter on the check of the coin. If it is not chatter than of course it will grade much higher.

There are a number of hits on the edge suggesting that the few marks evident in the hair and in the fields on the photos are not alone. Certainly, if they are clear and the luster is blazing then I'll change my vote, but as of right now, I am sticking with MS-62. A photo taken with more light would certainly help the assessment process.

Check out the cheek. There appears to be friction (contact marks, rub, what have you) on the cheek, and in a few other places. I agree with Jeff, a brighter photo would help, but I graded it MS62 based on what I saw, and MS63 if the luster was there.

there is some chatter on the cheek and in the fields HOWEVER liek i stated before more marks are "allowed" on gold than on harder coins (silver,copper etc) i'll stick with my 64

Wow. Lots of chatter about this one.

Firstly, I had the chance to look through about 30-40 20's today, and this one had the best combination of appeal and price. This was one of the few in its grade that was in my opinion, properly graded. And is equal to two others that I own in the same grade. I was slightly disappointed in the way that many of these 20's are being graded by both NGC and PCGS. Or maybe I am being too strict because these are so heavy and mark up so easily. I have yet to see one in this grade with any luster on the cheek, and this is no exception. The luster is also bagged off in the hair and on the high part of the neck. The rest of the coin has excellent unbroken luster, and very nice toning and color.

This is graded by PCGS as a '63.

Very nice Dave thanks for posting it. Yes, there was a lot of chatter about this coin as should be. The photos were kind of dark so I thought it might be hiding some marks. Gold is hard to grade sometimes. At least for me.

It is a fun coin. Actually, the pic shows the frostiness of the luster rather well. The majority of the coin is one color, and where there is no luster, the color is different...

Old school grading.......obverse 63 reverse 65 (maybe 66), net 64.

I guess we can't go back to the good old days,ya 'gotta consider both sides.

Ray

This is graded by PCGS as a '63.

That's a great coin, and I really like it in 63 plastic. Congrats on the NEWP, and thanks for sharing...Mike

Nice coin. I'll guess 63 from the pic. Disclaimer: a different pic taken under different lighting may result in a different grade guess.