• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help 1971-D Kennedy DDR

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if this is a double die or is it mechanical doubling

Personally I do not think it is mechanical because the the letters are shifted clockwise on "half dollar" and counter clockwise on "america".

Any idea of value???

1873857-Jul01_02.JPG.8718ad02d5890e3c6f9ff6dbec1b1d53.JPG

There are others on here with much more experience with Doubling than I but by what I can see it appears to be mechanical or strike doubling. The doubling appears to be rather flat and "shelf-like" as opposed to a more rounded secondary image which is typical of true die doubling. There are two true Double Die Obverse's that can be found in mint sets with either strong doubling on Liberty, In God We Trust and the 71 of the date or In God We Trust, Liberty with the In showing a tripled die.

Rey

Mechanical. Sorry. The coin below is a DDO, and you can see the split serifs, not a flat shelf-like area of impact on existing devices.

71ddo.jpg

There are others on here with much more experience with Doubling than I but by what I can see it appears to be mechanical or strike doubling. The doubling appears to be rather flat and "shelf-like" as opposed to a more rounded secondary image which is typical of true die doubling. There are two true Double Die Obverse's that can be found in mint sets with either strong doubling on Liberty, In God We Trust and the 71 of the date or In God We Trust, Liberty with the In showing a tripled die.

Rey

Dead on Rey, Good call.

Yes mechanical/machine doubling is fun to have...different, unique. Especially on the larger coins where little or no magnification is needed to see the slippage.

Back and forth chatter of the die. I've got a few of the early 70's Kennedy's with mechanical doubling like yours.

Chris

Mechanical doubling has different names: machine doubling, strike doubling, ejection doubling, and also die chatter which is what cpm9ball is referring to. :)