• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

America's first medals reproductions from the u.s.mint?

7 posts in this topic

I just received these medals they are made by the u.s mint and are reproduction of the america's first medals in pewter. My question is when were these made and what was their issue price. DSCN0345.jpg[/img] DSCN0353.jpg[/img] DSCN0349.jpg[/img]

thank you for your answer in advance.John

The top four are actually Bicentennial Commission medals produced in 1972 and 1973 and are currently available at many dealer shops for $2-$5 each. The bottom four are pieces from the US Mint First Medals program, which I have only seen sold as an intact ten or eleven-piece set, and these sets go for as little as $5 complete in album to as much as $20. However, their typical sales price is about $10 for the entire set.

The pewter "American's First Medals" series were sold in five, two medal units that cost $10 each. For an additional $5 one could purchase the booklet and album. I'm guessing that the Treasury medal was included with the album for a total of 11 medals. That would make the total issue price for the set $65.

I've purchased the medals sets for $15 and have sold them for $20. One can collect the original medals in bronze. They have been made by both the U.S. and French mints over a number of years. The big trick is get as many medals as possible struck from the original die pair. It's a plus if you can find a very early or original strike. I collected a set of these medals 15 to 20 years ago. The first piece I purchased was an original William Washington medal. The last one for me was John Paul Jones.

Thanks Bill and Tom for answering my questions for I knew nothing about these other than the price I paid . I love this forum it is a answer center for anything coin related for collectors like me. John

I bought two of the 11-medal presentation sets about 3 years ago for $18 and sold one of them for $25. It comes in a white outer sleeve with the same design as the blue, inside cover and the booklet which tells about each medal. 1873729-IMG_1631.JPG1873729-IMG_1634.JPG1873729-IMG_1635.JPG

Chris

1873729-IMG_1635.JPG.e255763c032ad0c5c72f1f0b540d50fd.JPG

I just received these medals they are made by the u.s mint and are reproduction of the america's first medals in pewter. My question is when were these made and what was their issue price. DSCN0345.jpg[/img] DSCN0353.jpg[/img] DSCN0349.jpg[/img]

thank you for your answer in advance.John

There were also about 4 different medals produced for the bicentennial. I got them as a kid. They are kind of neat because their holder folds out into a stand.

thumbsup2.gif