• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Show Report (Finally!)

32 posts in this topic

Today my mom and I ventured down to Baltimore to visit the three-times-per-year show that is held at their Convention Center. After it took forty-five minutes to drive home from my uncle's house (Yes, 45 minutes of driving without getting any closer to Baltimore Christo_pull_hair.gif ) I grabbed my things and my mom and I set off. The 2 ½ hour trip was not bad except for a spot of traffic on I-95 South in Maryland that delayed us half an hour. We arrived at 11:00 AM.

I immediately noticed some changes to the show, none of them for the better. The entrance/exit system had been botched; leaving the doors designated for each about a quarter of a mile apart, after you wove through the tables to get to them. Also, I was required to show photo identification during registration in order to receive my name-badge (not a little sticker like last year).

Upon entering the bourse without delay (it was mandated that we were to leave at 2:30 blush.gif ), I noticed that there were fewer tables that at the last show I attended, in the fall. We got our bearings and went to the Whitman table along the back wall to begin. We quickly found that we were in the foreign and ancient section, and so skipped two rows over. 27_laughing.gif

The first coin that I came upon was an 1860 Indian Head Cent (see exhibit A wink.gif ) of the "Pointed Bust" variety. I had never heard of that particular variety (even though it was in the Redbook blush.gif ), and so the dealer very kindly explained it to me and showed me various examples. This specimen was and Extra Fine, and I purchased it for my type set. I later came to a table that had a pair of 1859 Indian Head Cents, one in VF and one in EF. I asked to see both, and determined that the VF (see exhibit B) would be ideal for my type set, as the EF had a touch of corrosion. It was much cheaper too. wink.gif

By now it was noon, and we headed out (or tried to, there was a bit of a snafu with the doors) for lunch. At this point it was still pouring rain (I neglected to mention our walk from the Sheraton, didn't I?) so we bought our lunches at the snack bar in the lobby. The food was much worse than last year. Gone were the oven roasted turkey sandwiches of last year, replaced by rubbery roast beef, baked potatoes, greasy hamburgers and nasty looking crab cakes. The tables in the lobby were full, so we "enjoyed" our "meals" on the stairs. I had a roast beef sandwich and potato chips, both of which had been thoroughly soaked in coleslaw by the time I had gotten to them. My mom's crab cake was saved from the mayonnaise onslaught by having been perched on a tomato raft.

After lunch we quickly re-immersed ourselves in the bourse, as I had only a mere two hours remaining! On the way out, I had noticed Rod Burress's table, and so I stopped by to see if he had any copper I needed. To my disappointment, it was all of too high grade and was much too costly for my budget. It sure was nice though. cloud9.gif The dealer next door, J.E.L Coins in Baltimore (owned by Jim Long), had some nice type coins. There I picked up an 1843 Seated Quarter in EF (exhibit C), rounding out the Seated Quarters section of my 7070.

In the case next to the quarter sat an 1877 S Trade Dollar (exhibit D) in a tattered old cardboard 2x2. The torn Mylar window is probably the only reason that the coin had not yet sold. Even with my glass I couldn't ascertain if there were any problems hiding on the coin behind the torn Mylar, so after receiving permission, I removed it from its holder. I had passed on many trade and seated dollars already (Winston told me I should be more picky wink.gif ), but this one was different. The coin was stellar, and I purchased it immediately.

With my coin bag heavier and my wallet considerably lighter, I set off again. I now wanted to find a nice Liberty "V" Nickel for my type set. I had noticed, as I had been looking for one of these nonchalantly for months, that in lower grade these were tough to find with good eye-appeal. I saw several that would have fit my type set perfectly, but they were all key dates and I didn't particularly want to spend hundreds of dollars on a coin with such an ugly design. I eventually found one that I liked. It is a 1912 D, a semi-key of the series with only 8.4 million minted. This one (exhibit E), in VF, has finally filled a hole that was much more difficult tha one would have thought.

Lastly was my impulse buy of the day (exhibit F). While wandering the bourse, I spotted a fantastic AU Oregon Trail commemorative at the Smythe table. The toning is superlative, and I knew that if I didn't buy it I would never forgive myself. Long story short: I bought it. grin.gif Now I have to vote one of my other commemoratives out of my album, until I buy a blank commemorative page anyway. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While browsing, I noticed that I generally avoided the tables with shiny coins in stacks of brand new slabs. They hardly ever had coins that I was interested in. There was one exception, however. I stopped at the Anaconda table in order to drool on some nice coins in hand that I had only as of yet drooled over on the internet. cloud9.gif

Before leaving, I traversed my way to the Ancients section. I had an Alexander the Great coin that I wanted examined by a professional. My uncle (the same aforementioned uncle that I was at this morning) had gotten it for me when he traveled to Jordan for $1. I had already drop tested it (it sounded silver) and weighed it (17.2g, the correct weight). The first dealer I went to determined that it was a cast counterfeit, although a very good one. One of the dealer's patrons, who was examining coins at his table, was an expert in the field. He told me that it was a recent German counterfeit made by an apprentice of a master forger. It was extremely interesting, and well worth a dollar for a fake coin. smile.gif

The drive home took about 2 ½ hours, due to heavy traffic on I-95 North in the same location that we had hit before. There was also quite the backup in Delaware. For such a small state, they sure have their fair share of traffic jams. frown.gif

All in all, it was a terrific show. I was able to fill five holes in my type set and I managed to get away without buying a single Mercury dime! wink.gif I sure am glad that I have such a large show so close to me, and such a wonderful mother to take me to it! (I have a feeling that she might read this tongue.gif )

1860%201c%20Obv.jpg1860%201c%20Rev.jpg

1859%201c%20Obv.jpg1859%201c%20Rev.jpg

1843%2025c%20Obv.jpg1843%2025c%20Rev.jpg

1877%20S%20%241%20Obv.jpg1877%20S%20%241%20Rev.jpg

1912%20D%205c%20Obv.jpg1912%20D%205c%20Rev.jpg

1926%20Oregon%2050c%20Obv.jpg1926%20Oregon%2050c%20Rev.jpg

Zach, that was probably one of the best show reports I've ever read! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, even down to the soggy roast beef sandwich!

Hi, zrlevin hi.gif

I enjoyed reading your show report. Nice coins you picked up for your Type coin set collection. Thank you for sharing! thumbsup2.gif

AAJ

Zach you had a super day at the coin show and show an excellent eye for originality and toning. Your 7070 and type set will be fantastic. Congratulations!

Out of curiosity, what do you grade the Oregon Trail Commemorative at?

I grade it AU50, and I payed a bit under redbook AU for it. In hand, though, the color is phenominal.

I think this is a great coin and you did well in purchasing it, IMO, at the price that you did. thumbsup2.gif I think this is a case where the toning pattern accentuates what might be considered rub at first glance. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What colors does it demonstrate in hand that may not have come through the picture?

Nice coins, but I think your overgrading the Oregon just a little bit. Looks like a little too much wear for me to call it an AU.

Nice coins, but I think your overgrading the Oregon just a little bit. Looks like a little too much wear for me to call it an AU.

I could agree with that, but don't forget that the toning pattern gives it an inaccurate sense of wear as well.

Can we agree on EF45? grin.gif I payed $130 for it, so I still think that I did pretty well.

TJ, the oregon has hues of blue, red, orange, and brown that are visible in the image but do not stand out like they do in hand.

EF/AU I don’t see much difference in terms of value. To me what makes this coin desirable is its thick skin and eye appeal. These coins aren’t hard to find if you’re not concerned with a dip, wash, or “light cleaning.” An unmessed with coin is significantly harder to find and I would pay some premium for it. I would pay $130 for this coin thumbsup2.gif.

TJ, the oregon has hues of blue, red, orange, and brown that are visible in the image but do not stand out like they do in hand.

Wow, it sounds even better the more you talk about. I agree with Winston. Whether it is a 45 or 50 because doesn't really matter. It is a coin I would own for my collection at the price that you paid for it. Again, I think you did very well. Coins like this are hard to find but rewarding to those whose search nets one. Thanks for sharing it.

You are an exceptionally good writer, zrlevin!

Hey, thanks! cool.gif

I was hoping it would be coherent, English is not my strong suit.