• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something I very rarely do...

25 posts in this topic

...and I like the strike as well!
That was actually what made me pull the trigger on it. So many of these have the nastiest reverse strike. Sometimes with letters of DOLLAR and/or numerals in the date completely missing or super faint. It looked very nice but when the strike stood out it was sold.

That's a really attractive coin. thumbsup2.gif Since strike has already been mentioned, nice luster and color.

I'd imagine it must be very tough to photograph such a tiny coin.
It definitely wasn't easy. I'm used to photographing 15mm half dimes so I didn't think it would pose a big difficulty...I was wrong lol

As has been noted, the strike is very good. Even the "8" shows up well. There's some roughness at 11-12 o'clock obverse and a hit at the crown of Liberty's head. What'll we call it, guys? 63? That's my guess.

This type (and this date especially) has been very heavily counterfeited. Have you had this coin authenticated? Your coin appears genuine from your pic but the quality of many of the US gold counterfeits is simply amazing and they need to be authenticated using a stereo microscope.

Does the type I dollar normally have problems with the date and DOLLAR striking up? I known there is a big problem with it on the Type II coins because of the thinner planchet and high relief head (corrected on the Type III by making the head broader and lower in relief), but I thought the thicker type I planchet allowed for sufficient metal flow to allow for fairly decent reverse detail.

Does the type I dollar normally have problems with the date and DOLLAR striking up? I known there is a big problem with it on the Type II coins because of the thinner planchet and high relief head (corrected on the Type III by making the head broader and lower in relief), but I thought the thicker type I planchet allowed for sufficient metal flow to allow for fairly decent reverse detail.

All of that is true. The Type IIs are a lot worse about weaker strike. But you still see the other types with weak 8s with some regularity.

The letters in DOLLAR and each numeral in the date are regularly weakly struck in the type 1's but I don't know why.

Here's a pic of the coin showing the plastic part wink.gif

slabpicfv2.jpg