• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Friday night guess the grade and Overton!

12 posts in this topic

Just got this one, take a look and tell me what you think on the grade and Overton variety:

1809p50cobv3.JPG

1809p50crev3.JPG

Well, it just goes to show you can't fool TomB for a minute on Overton varieties! Nice job, it is an O-105, but surprisingly, ANACS was very tough on this one, grading it only VF-20! Once again illustrating how striking characteristics can affect grading. Personally I think this one is more in the VF-30 range, expecially with the normally weak left wing. It does have a very nice patina, and it looks like it hasn't been messed with as much as so many bust halves have been, making it a very nice type coin in an ideal grade for me!

Does it have another problem to cause it to be net graded down?

If you are cracking this, don't forget to check the edge. ANACS does not always note the edge varieties correctly, and just because this is a 105, the key is that it is GENERALLY a plain edge, but not always. And I know from experience, because ANACS missed the XXXX on my 102...

Does it have another problem to cause it to be net graded down?

If you are cracking this, don't forget to check the edge. ANACS does not always note the edge varieties correctly, and just because this is a 105, the key is that it is GENERALLY a plain edge, but not always. And I know from experience, because ANACS missed the XXXX on my 102...

There are no problems noted on the holder, and this is an older ANACS slab, so if there was a problem/net grade it would be noted I would think. As for cracking it out, I have no plans to do so since I am quite happy with it as it is. Maybe someday though.