• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How well will this 1909S VDB restore?

8 posts in this topic

Surfaces look "dry" in the photo like the coin has been worked on to a degree already (note the streaking that starts from the corroded areas). The bronze disease doesn't look much more than skin deep but they might not be able to get it into an NGC holder but will definitely be able to make it much more eye appealing and market acceptable. Nice coin if the green can be killed off and some of the washed out dry look can be remedied.

Well, it's been a LONG time since I posted this. Just thought I'd report back in case anyone was interested. Being a chemist, I couldn't resist a challenge. I went to work developing fluid that could safely remove verdigris. After a lot of time and effort developing a suitable fluid using a proprietary molecule at the proper concentration, I was able to conserve this coin and send it directly to NGC where it received a VF-30 grade!

Here's the before and after conservation pictures (sorry my pics aren't very good), 40 minutes of total exposure time:

2008825_SVDB_before_after.jpg

The result:

20081013_1909SVDB_slabbedREV.jpg

That's pretty cool. Maybe you could post this in a more heavily traffiked forum (like Tangents or US coins) and tell us more about what you did (without giving away your proprietary formula, of course :) )

That's pretty cool. Maybe you could post this in a more heavily traffiked forum (like Tangents or US coins) and tell us more about what you did (without giving away your proprietary formula, of course :) )

I agree. And maybe even offer some small bottles of it at a good price for us members also! (thumbs u I know there are alot of us with verdigris issues on some of our copper. I do!

I'm not very familiar with this forum and I didn't want to break any rules. I have been making small lab batches and selling very limited quantities. My goal is not to get rich, but just help a few fellow numismatists. I don't want to be flooded with buyers as I'm just a chemist with a family!

You can read some of the development stages here:

VERDI-GONE™

I forgot the obverse pictures. The verdigris was very minor on the obverse, the worst at about 10 o'clock. I removed it within 10 minutes with a 50% dilution:

2008825_1909SVDBLincoln.jpg

My slab photography needs work, the dark spot in the middle is the reflection of my camera lens. My color balance was also bad.....arrrrgggg.... I'll get it some day. :blush:

20081026_1909SVDB_slabbed_obv.jpg