• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WEEK #268 - COINSIDER THIS.....

14 posts in this topic

• Administrator

QUESTION:

The 1964-D Kennedy Half Dollar has its mintmark to the left of the olive branch. What was the alternate placement considered by the mint?

Good Luck!

Our first place winner will receive a signed copy of A Guide Book of Modern United States Proof Coin Sets by David W. Lange. There will also be a runner up prize given to a randomly selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators an see it . Stop back this Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

Although I was collecting when the JFK Half was initially issued - and also received Coin World - I'm really drawing a blank on the "alternate" location of the Mint Mark.

It would be too easy to say " under the bust of JFK, as issued from 1968 on"

I have a vague rememberance that there was talk of placing the Mint Mark

on the reverse amoungst the stars...

confused.gif

I believe it was originally supposed to be directly below the Eagle, but it was moved because of the alternate vulgar impression that location created!

In 1964, the mint mark appeared on the reverse, under the eagle's left talon. Starting in 1968, mint marks appear above the second and third numbers in the date under Kennedy's neck.

• Administrator

ANSWER:

To the left of the tailfeathers.

Sorry.......No one had the correct answer this week. An illustration of the alternate position may be found on page 312 of the Judd pattern book, current (9th) edition.

Thanks for playing this weeks Numisma-Quest. Dont forget to stop by for this weeks PMG question