• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can't believe it!

17 posts in this topic

I sent an MS 67 Barber Quarter in for Regrade. I honestly thought it was a 68*,but it came back in a 67 holder. I can't believe it didn't get at least 67* !!! I don't know how to put a picture on here, but look under Barber Quarters 1892 to 1915, and I'm 14th on the list, under "TREEMAN", and the set is called "Barber Shop". There is a picture there. The coin in hand looks way better than the magnified photo, and you can't even see the two VERY slight toning spots.There is also a small die break around the first star, but, again, in hand it is hard to see using my 10X loop! Just curious what other people think of the coin. Thanks for any opinions.

Stan

That is a very attractive barber and please don't take this the wrong way, but personally, and judging solely from the photos, I think you're lucky it came back in 67 plastic...Mike

That is a very attractive barber, and please don't take this the wrong way, but personally, and judging solely from the photos, I think you're lucky it came back in 67 plastic...Mike

Yeah, looks like a pretty weak strike, huh?

That is a very attractive barber, and please don't take this the wrong way, but personally, and judging solely from the photos, I think you're lucky it came back in 67 plastic...Mike

Agreed. hey an ms67 barber is a pretty amazing rarity i'd be happy with it but anywho it is a beautiful coin thumbsup2.gif

The strike is a tad weak, but more problematic to me are the marks around the first star and on the cheek on the obverse. The reverse looks better than the obverse, but when I first saw the coin I thought 65 or 66. Please don't get me wrong, it is a very attractive coin and one I'd be proud ot own, I just don't like it in 67 plastic (and with a 67 price tag). All IMO and humbly submitted...Mike

To be honest, I only bought the coin because I thought (in my infinite wisdom) that it would upgrade. I don't have any interest in the Barber series, but I figured that I could make a few bucks to help finance my Large Cent addiction :-) Oh well, greed always bites you in the end....

For all the posts screaming that you can't grade a coin from a photo those are some pretty definitive statements.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For all the posts screaming that you can't grade a coin from a photo those are some pretty definitive statements.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think anyone made a definitive statement (see bolded comments above) -- also strike characteristics are farily easy to ascertain from photos, particularly the high-quality photos Pinnacle provides...Mike

[edited for clarity]

The cheek is actually extremely clean! The "marks" around the first star are NOT contact marks, it is the die chip I mentioned, and, believe it or not, it is extremely hard to see with a 10X loop. The strike is bold, though in the photo it looks like "LIBERTY" is barely discernable, "LIBERTY", and everything else, is boldly struck. I don't take offense, but I did want to explain why I thought it would upgrade. I'm no expert, but, after 30 some years of serious collecting, I wouldn't expect a weak strike to upgrade. Please don't take this wrong, I'm just trying to explain why I thought it would upgrade. If you seen the coin in hand, I think you would agree. The dealer I submitted it through, just said "wow, that is a nice coin!" He said the only problem he could see with the upgrade, is that the Grading Services are EXTREMELY TOUGH on Top Pop coins. This is one of 4 at NGC, 1 at PCGS, none higher. Basically, if they gave it a 68, it would be Pop 1/0 at both services. Anyway, a guy can dream, right? At least until the coin came back :-)

I thought stars were pretty much only given to toners?

Nope. White mint state coins can and do get the ‘*’, but in my experience they need screaming luster. My Fort Vancouver commem is a white * coin that has to be seen in person to be able to fully appreciate.

John

The cheek is actually extremely clean! The "marks" around the first star are NOT contact marks, it is the die chip I mentioned, and, believe it or not, it is extremely hard to see with a 10X loop. The strike is bold, though in the photo it looks like "LIBERTY" is barely discernable, "LIBERTY", and everything else, is boldly struck. I don't take offense, but I did want to explain why I thought it would upgrade. I'm no expert, but, after 30 some years of serious collecting, I wouldn't expect a weak strike to upgrade. Please don't take this wrong, I'm just trying to explain why I thought it would upgrade. If you seen the coin in hand, I think you would agree. The dealer I submitted it through, just said "wow, that is a nice coin!" He said the only problem he could see with the upgrade, is that the Grading Services are EXTREMELY TOUGH on Top Pop coins. This is one of 4 at NGC, 1 at PCGS, none higher. Basically, if they gave it a 68, it would be Pop 1/0 at both services. Anyway, a guy can dream, right? At least until the coin came back :-)

I take no offense. In fact, given you've got the coin in-hand, I will yield to your assessment.

Regardless of grade, that is a very nice coin. Congrats on the NEWP...Mike