• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before and after pics of a coin I bought yesturday.

17 posts in this topic

I dont mean to keep posting about things that probably bore everybody, but I would like your oppinions on this coin as it was my first Dipper.

I think I need to dip a little longer as you can see in the pics theres still some residue on the coin, but much better looking don't you think.

Before.

55931684_o.jpg

After

56024911_o.jpg

Before

55931675_o.jpg

After

56024898_o.jpg

I'm a little curious about those lines do you suspect it's been improperly cleaned in the past, or could those be from die polish.

Die polishing lines normally run straight north-south on the coin, so it's likely a cleaning artifact. In fact, the crud you dipped off might be deliberate, in order to hide the cleaning. I've bought similar coins in the past. How long was the coin in the dip? There's a very fine line between doing it and overdoing it - it might stand 5 seconds total, and then be ruined on the sixth second. Here's a before/after from one I recently played with. Note the die polishing lines, all running north-south and typically concentrated near the devices - on a die, the devices are concave, and die polishing tends to be heavier at the edges of recesses.

1880S_MorganObv.JPG

1880S_MorganRev.JPG

IMG_0001a.JPG

IMG_0011a%7E0.JPG

That was 3 seconds, about as long as I ever allow. In your case, you might want to give acetone a try - what's left on the coin might be organic, and you're probably on the overdipping borderline as it is.

Not my area of numismatics but just to give you another opinion… The coin, to me, looks like it was dipped and possibly wiped a couple of decades ago. It appears to have begun to re-tone when you dipped it again. If I owned and liked the coin, I likely would have let it age and continue to re-tone.

I tlooks better Richard but I'd be careful of dipping it anymore. Don't want to lose the luster that it still has. Now's the time to let it set and re-tone.

Die polishing lines normally run straight north-south on the coin, so it's likely a cleaning artifact.

Of the coins I own with die-polish (admittedly none are Morgans), I've not noticed any consistency in the direction of these lines. On what do you base the above statement? Just wondering...Mike

the easiest way to tell if they are die polish lines or abrasive hairlines is to look at the design no lines should run throught them to be die polish lines

Die polishing lines normally run straight north-south on the coin, so it's likely a cleaning artifact.

Of the coins I own with die-polish (admittedly none are Morgans), I've not noticed any consistency in the direction of these lines. On what do you base the above statement? Just wondering...Mike

On my own limited experience with Morgans, numbering possibly 500 coins with visible die polishing. Although I've seen multidirectional polishing on other years, especially 1921, every single 1878 on which I've observed polishing (or maybe basining?) marks has been north-south.

I'm prepared to be shown otherwise.

On my own limited experience with Morgans, numbering possibly 500 coins with visible die polishing. Although I've seen multidirectional polishing on other years, especially 1921, every single 1878 on which I've observed polishing (or maybe basining?) marks has been north-south.

I'm prepared to be shown otherwise.

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing your observations. thumbsup2.gif

Has anyone else noticed consistency in the direction of die polish, Morgans or otherwise?

I do not believe I would attempt another dipping. There are quite a few marks/scratches showing that were not noticeable before. You also are on the border of giving the coin a bleached look IMHO.

I do not believe I would attempt another dipping. There are quite a few marks/scratches showing that were not noticeable before. You also are on the border of giving the coin a bleached look IMHO.

Yeah I do believe your right. The coin at one time had to of had a DMPL look to it you can't tell from the pics but it's there I'll stick with a PL slider.

It does have quite a few bag marks.

I really liked the coin for what it was before the dip.

I'm not against dipping but believe there are very few candidates for it today except for some of the modern stuff.

Chances are if you are trying to improve the looks of an older coin, someone else already tried years ago. smile.gif