• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks and an attempt to give back.

14 posts in this topic

While I don't post much here, that is not to say that I do not learn a lot from this forum. Those that know me know I post more ATS and at a different forum where its more of a playground.

I do want this group to know that when it comes to serious numismatic stuff, I come here. I've learned a lot from you all and want to say THANKS!

In an attempt to hopefully give back something I'd like to try to post something that while most of you know already, there may be some who don't and this is a way for me to feel like I'm giving something back.

In the last 2 years of getting back into the hobby I so enjoyed as a child I'd found that things had changed a lot. What with the advent of slabs and the internet and all. What didn't change is that for the most part, good coins were still good coins.

One of the things that separates one coin from another is its luster. Luster "in hand" is an easy thing to determine, almost anyone can do it. Achieving "luster" in a digital picture however is a whole different matter. Different images will drastically alter the appearance of what luster a coin might actually have.

When looking at images of coins a lot of them appear that they don't have good luster due to the way that the picture was taken. I believe that this on occasion can be used to your advantage. One way is to first become very familiar with the coins looking at as many as you can "in hand" to get a sense of how they appear in relation to their grade and how each TPG tends to grade them. This can help give you a sense of what type of luster one might expect on a coin slabbed at a certain grade by each TPG. It is not foolproof obviously, but can be very helpful.

Here is my real life example. I purchased this coin off of ebay recently and IMO the sales price was held down significantly due to the apparent lack of luster on the coin. Still a nice coin, but the sellers pics just didn't show the luster.

Having seen more than a couple of these coins in-hand I was pretty sure that the TPG who slabbed this coin as an MS67 would not have done so if the coin didn't have sufficient luster. If indeed it was dull it probably would have been a 66.

So in my mind, the coin is really clean, great color, and likely had much better luster than the sellers pics showed. I took a chance, and it paid off (IMO).

First here are the sellers pics: nice but really lacking luster

b73f_12.jpg

3743_1b.jpg

The coin arrived yesterday and here are my pics: (I'm no expert picture taker, but you can see the luster now)

QUKXC-June2007BeachTrip042.jpg

DHMIA-June2007BeachTrip043.jpg

So my advice would be to get out and see as many coins in hand as you can to learn what they can look like. Use your knowledge gained to help aid you with your on-line purchases.

Thanks,

Richard

Great looking Iowa commemorative Richard. I just bought and received yesterday a nice darkly toned Iowa off of Heritage Auctions.

Great looking Iowa commemorative Richard. I just bought and received yesterday a nice darkly toned Iowa off of Heritage Auctions.

That's cool, get some pics up and we can high five eachother !!!

Nice lesson, great pics and great coin thumbsup2.gif. I think part of the issue may be that the seller uploaded the pictures to ebay instead of posting their own html and images. I had to change from uploading images to using my own images and html because ebay downsizes the pictures (in KB) making them significantly less sharp. That’s probably fine for most of the junk on ebay e.g. records, clothes, etc, but not great for judging the luster on an MS67 coin.

Nice lesson, great pics and great coin thumbsup2.gif. I think part of the issue may be that the seller uploaded the pictures to ebay instead of posting their own html and images. I had to change from uploading images to using my own images and html because ebay downsizes the pictures (in KB) making them significantly less sharp. That’s probably fine for most of the junk on ebay e.g. records, clothes, etc, but not great for judging the luster on an MS67 coin.

Good point. Hopefully I wasn't taken as bashing the seller, who btw seems to have a good eye for what he has collected. I'm watching one of his other pieces as well, and NO I'm not telling wink.gif

Good thread, Richard. I believe the ebay seller used scans for his coin, which will not pick up luster unless the image is manipulated somewhat.

i'll agree with Mike. i too have picked up some nice gems that looked blah because the seller used a scanner and i was able to recognize that fact. In fact, i bought three Walkers that the seller had used an old scanner and they looked terrible! in hand, the coins were beautiful with SCREAMING luster. They were MS66 and i paid MS65 for them, probably 'cause many bidders were relying on the pictures to be accurate.

good tip Richard!

Doug

Nice tab toning on that commemorative Richard.

I was wondering if the seller might have been attempting to highlight the fact that this was an original mint envelope tab toned coin and selected those images for that sake?

We'll never know, but your images are by hands down, far superior.

Welcome back.

Keep in touch.

You've come along way young Jedi

~Woody~

Nice post, Richard, and most certainly a lustrous coin. Your point while being well taken, screams out for the need of local coin shows in malls and civic centers throughout America and elsewhere. When I started in the 60's collecting, there were local coin shows most every weekend within driving range of Kingsport, Tn where I lived. My friends and I would go to every one we could get to(not to learn but on the chance of getting that JUST RIGHT coin, but we did learn many things by holding the coin we were buying). If asked then if we would have bought a coin sight unseen except from a picture we would have laughed. I realize that dealers must make a profit and bourse tables are expensive, but I'm speaking local here, with no great travel expense nor overnight expenses. This would bring coin collecting back to the level it once was and bring in new collectors that are so much needed to perpetuate our numismatic field. IMHO.