• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999 S Silver Proof State Quarters

12 posts in this topic

Let me post a silly question. Why again are the State Silver Quarters for 1999 so high priced? Just because its the first year? 2000 S had 200K less mintage yet its a giveaway price. I do not remember why the great price variance. Please refresh my memory.

Thanks

Let me post a silly question. Why again are the State Silver Quarters for 1999 so high priced? Just because its the first year? 2000 S had 200K less mintage yet its a giveaway price. I do not remember why the great price variance. Please refresh my memory.

Supply and demand. As the first issue, not only is the demand higher than the supply, but those who want the first issues but missed the chance are now making the demand higher. With the supply being constant at this point, the increast in demand. Let me see if I can find a graph to explain this...

240px-Vertical-supply-left-shift-demand.svg.png

In this case, supply is considered an inelastic market--which means that the supply is constant and does not change, thus the straight vertical line. However, if the deman increases, the price increases. On the graph, ignoring that the graph was used to show a lowering of demand, if the demand of the coins is shown using the demand curve D2, the price will be where the curves intersect at P2. If the demand raises to D1, which the market has shown the demand has increased, the price rises to P1.

As the demand rises, the price rises since the quantity does not change. As a first year issue, the more people want the sets the higher the demand the higher the price. Remember, one of the rules of supply and demand is that the curves attempt to move to an equilibrium, thus the market adapts to the intesection of the curves.

Those that believe in supply-side economics believe that you use the increased supply to lower the price because increasing demand causes inflation. However, supply side economics does not account for markets with constant supply, like the coin market. It also does not account for economically illogical changes in demand. As you said, the 2000 sets had a lower mintage but cost less. Think about this being represented by the graph... the original costs were based on the demand D1 and now are represented by D2. The supply has not changed but the demand has. Thus, the lower prices.

BTW: I am not saying that demand-side economics is better. It's theory is to increase the demand and the equilibrium that markets try to achieve will settle back at the same price by also shifting the supply curve. The problem is that the equilibrium also changes the demand curve and tends to fluctuate more because the supply is unpredictable. See the cost of gas today... even as the demand does not rise significantly, the supply is down and the price goes up. This is not necessarily a sign of inflation, but worrisome.

The bottom line is just that... the bottom line. People want, the supply does not change, the price goes up. Simple economics.

(I bet you couldn't tell I have a public policy degree! insane.gif)

Scott hi.gif

Dang, I hope Scott doesn't give a pop quiz tomorrow first thing, if so I'm screwed. Thanks all for your input, especially Scott's indepth, collegiate Econ 201 explanation.

Supply and demand. As the first issue, not only is the demand higher than the supply, but those who want the first issues but missed the chance are now making the demand higher. With the supply being constant at this point, the increast in demand. Let me see if I can find a graph to explain this...

In this case, supply is considered an inelastic market--which means that the supply is constant and does not change, thus the straight vertical line. However, if the deman increases, the price increases. On the graph, ignoring that the graph was used to show a lowering of demand, if the demand of the coins is shown using the demand curve D2, the price will be where the curves intersect at P2. If the demand raises to D1, which the market has shown the demand has increased, the price rises to P1.

As the demand rises, the price rises since the quantity does not change. As a first year issue, the more people want the sets the higher the demand the higher the price. Remember, one of the rules of supply and demand is that the curves attempt to move to an equilibrium, thus the market adapts to the intesection of the curves.

Those that believe in supply-side economics believe that you use the increased supply to lower the price because increasing demand causes inflation. However, supply side economics does not account for markets with constant supply, like the coin market. It also does not account for economically illogical changes in demand. As you said, the 2000 sets had a lower mintage but cost less. Think about this being represented by the graph... the original costs were based on the demand D1 and now are represented by D2. The supply has not changed but the demand has. Thus, the lower prices.

BTW: I am not saying that demand-side economics is better. It's theory is to increase the demand and the equilibrium that markets try to achieve will settle back at the same price by also shifting the supply curve. The problem is that the equilibrium also changes the demand curve and tends to fluctuate more because the supply is unpredictable. See the cost of gas today... even as the demand does not rise significantly, the supply is down and the price goes up. This is not necessarily a sign of inflation, but worrisome.

The bottom line is just that... the bottom line. People want, the supply does not change, the price goes up. Simple economics.

Scott hi.gif

Huh? What was the question again? blush.gif

Scott hi.gif

Man, this stuff is GREAT to read in the evening. Now I'm ready to go to bed and sleep...

Actually, it isn't the Silver States Quarters that are priced high. It is the 9-coin, 1999 S Silver Proof Set. The Mint didn't begin producing the Silver Proof SQ's as a separate group until 2004.

Chris

Why again are the State Silver Quarters for 1999 so high priced? Just because its the first year? 2000 S had 200K less mintage yet its a giveaway price.

No the 1999-S silver quarters has a lower mintage. In fact they have the lowest mintage of all the silver quarters (not by much but it is the lowest unless the 2003's are lower. I don't have the mintage for the 2003's.)

So you have the first year advantage, plus the lowest mintage advantage. So high price, for now.

You are right Condor, I glanced at the clad mintages by accident not the silver. I guess I will wait to finish my collection till the market is sane again-if ever. Thanks for all your responses. I do appreciate your opinions and value each.

2005 silver state quarters i think will pass 1999 with JUST-1,606,970 MINTED and 35,000,000 people in CA. That wouldn't cover 5% of them not counting the rest of the country.But what do I know