• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with a problem coin...

13 posts in this topic

I posted this coin in another thread and the more I think about it the more I feel I am stuck with this coin...

With the advent of the self slabber I feel even more stuck...

If someone won this coin on ebay in it's present state how does someone know that It won't reappear in an other than reputable coffin ??

Any and All comments, Observations, Flames, Etc,etc welcome.

Untitled-3-2.png

Untitled-1-3.png

Untitled-2-2.png

Provided you no longer want the coin, I think the only ethical choices are:

1) Sell it (or give it away) with full disclosure.

2) Destroy it.

3) Keep it forever (but provide for it's full-disclosure sale once you pass away).

Just MHO...Mike

Given that the coin is slabbed I don't see what the big deal is. Sell it on eBay or Teletrade. The label tells the prospective buyer what the issue is. As to the future buyers use of the coin you are in no way responsible for that. One would hope that they don't crack and sell it, but again, that is their decision, not yours. After all, you could sell some raw slider AU coin and some other person could claim it is UNC.

wow i took the slab and made it a flip! sorry! yes the disclaimer is on the coin already so u would be safe selling it. it is unc details and thats good. there r ppl out there everyday just looking for a nice specamin even if cleaned.

If a future buyer choses to resell it without disclosure then so what? It is a simple fact that less than ethical people are going to act in a less than ethical fashion. Your only responsibity is to act in a manner that satisfies your own personal sense of ethics.

if you sell it in slab right now u r good! the next person can crack out and sell but u will not be responable. most ppl here can tell a coin that they have seen b4 and if not it will show in feedback what he baught and if he is selling the same yr and coin i would have to guess he is selling the ncs coin and i wouldnt buy other than that discription. u r completly safe as long as u r a good person he cant ruin that!

Unfortunately, grading services often let coins with filed rims slip through and get graded. If you look, you'll find many such coins certified by NGC and PCGS, though curiously, I think ANACS is particularly good at catching these. Anyhow, my point is that as much as I hate to say it, your coin could end up in a holder at some point. I'm assuming the filing is at the lower-right of the reverse, and it is not so acute that it couldn't be missed up on resubmission.

Being at such an isolated area of a coin, filed rims are among the least offensive ways that coins get doctored, in my opinion.

it's nice to worry what some one else might do with the coin. the fact is you can't control what the other guy will do with the coin if they have it. if you took it to sell for melt how could you ever be sure it was in fact melted? jmho

halfpint

popcorn.gif

With the problem coins that I have mistakenly purchased, I just describe them as accurately as I can; I state that the coin will not slab; I image the coin as accurately as I can; I allow returns if the person doesn’t like the coin; I just suck it up and take the loss and get the coin out of my collection. I’ve actually been surprised on a couple of occasions when people have bid good money on problem coins that I am just trying to move. I’ve also never had one returned…