• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Gift Ideas

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I came up with what I think would be a great idea the other day for a gift for my Dad. He's always been a decent coin collector (buying mainly proof sets each year since the late '50's and collecting some buffalo nickels) But, I want to get him a somewhat valuable graded coin minted during his birth year (1944). I have to admit, I really know zero, zilch about coins (although comic books are my thing, so I do visit the collectors-society boards frequently)

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas of sought after US coins during 1944. Are there any popular coins for this year or were most of the US coins pretty plentiful? I'm not sure where to start when identifying rare or valuable coins for a particular year. I did a search on ebay but didn't turn up anything specific. So, I'd love some advice on any specific coins to look for or maybe some reference information I can browse through online.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I would get him a mint set from his borth year. Depending on how much you want to spend a 1944 ms-63/au walking liberty half, than a 1944 mercury dime in ms-65, a 1944 jefferson nickel in ms-65, a 1944 washington quarter in ms-64 and a wheat cent in 65rd. This could be done for under $150. If you want something that costs less try lower grades or maybe just one very nice 1944 coin like a mercury dime in ms-68. Or why not pop for a low grade gold coin from 100 years before he was born, like a 1844 5 dollar gold coin in F-12?

Without knowing what you want to spend it is hard to suggest. However, a year set (one of every denomination) in maybe MS65 grade probably would not run more than a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I was thinking from anywhere from $50 - $100 or so. What I might do is buy one or two highly graded coins in a set this year and then add to it the next couple of years until I complete the set.

Thanks again.

What about a complete set of uncirculated "war-nickels"? They are a beautiful set as original unc's and they do include his birth year.