• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World Wide Silver

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone collect silver from around the world or europe. Or do most of you stay with one set and try to collect the series?

If so what countries do you collect from and how do you order them?

I saw some britannia's here posted and that sparked my interest in silver proofs from around the world. Canada and australia have some nice gold plated coins but at ridiculous prices (at least compared to silver eagles).

Is it typical that other countries charge 2-3X spot value?

I have quite a large assortment of Canadian Silver as well as some miscellaneous from Russia, Mexico, some Austrailia and then a few from other foreign countries. These were all part of my Father's collection which I now have so I have not ventured too much into the buying arena on foreign silver. A lot of the earlier Canadian and even into the 20th Century I have seen in some places for sale cheaper than their actual value, guessing that the seller did not realize the true value.

Rey

I collect the non-colorized Maple Leaf silver coins, silver Britannias, and silver Pandas. I also collect proof and uncirculated American Silver Eagles. These are the coins I like. Most of the coins I buy are from dealers at shows.

As for the costs, the various mints will charge what they can get away with. If the coins do not sell, then they will drop the price. But that has not been the case. For example, the Pandas are the most expensive of the silver bullion coins. The appeal of the designs and limited mintage allows the People's Bank to charge a significant premium over the spot price. As long as the market buys the coins, they can charge whatever they want.

Scott hi.gif

And very nice one's at that Michael!

Thanks, Bobby.

I might also mention that I collect proof SAEs, and I've got a couple random silver 1 oz coins that I bought because I like the designs (a maple leaf, libertad, kookaburra). I have looked over the pandas but I just don't get excited about the designs.

I worked on a world silver type collection for many years.

I'm more interested in cu/ni type in unc now days.

The silver is a lot of fun and you can find stuff on a pretty regular basis. You can find a lot of this stuff cheap but you'll have to pay 2 or 3x spot for scarcer coins. Of course there are expensive ones too, but in low grade even these can often be cheap.

I collect silver of all nations, in fact I've got a box full. Italy interests me the most, although, I don't collect any paticular coin, or nation, I do have IMHO some pretty cool stuff.

iby,

Where do you buy your silver from all nations from? I'm looking for interesting pieces, from any nation.

iby,

Where do you buy your silver from all nations from? I'm looking for interesting pieces, from any nation.

I mostly buy from friend's, I know a guy who travel's alot and love's foreign stuff. I also buy it by the pound at shows and such. I actually started collecting about two years ago; nothing very valuable, but fun to collect. thumbsup2.gif