• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help Identifying A NEWP 1807 CBH ...

17 posts in this topic

This is a tough one! Based on the star positions, I believe this is obverse 6 (Stars well in from milling, date is high with large 180 and slender 7 with 1 nearly touching curl) and reverse F (5 berries, all with stems, point of leaf to extreme right base of I, beak comes down on upper side of star point, AM joined at base, A joined with 3rd feather), but the problem is that it should be missing the right base of F which it does not. This is a conundrum.

It's possible, the O-104 should have small lumps just inside the milling between stars 2 and 3, I just don't see any lumps in the photo. That would also be reverse B, which should have the AME separate and the A close to but does not touch the third feather. There should also be a small sharp die defect lump just left of the top of the first S, which again I cannot see in the photos. It's a fabulous coin though!

My first thought was an O-105, but I didn't see the die defect lump near the milling between S and O, also it looked to me like the stems of the berries above the branch weren't longer. I think JRocco may be right with the O-102, but I just didn't think the left side of Y looked high enough for Obverse 2.

Characteristics of 1807 O-102

Obv,- narrow milling, star 13 points to the upper fold of the drapery, left serif of Y points well above top of the T, date is high with a large 180 and small 7, 1 nearly touches and is sometimes lightly joined to the curl.

Rev- Leaf points to the extreme base of I, eagles beak joined to star point, Base of A2 lightly touches third feather and the base of the M and is also very close to the end of the forth feather.

I have to go with an O-102 also.

It can't be O-105 - because of the position of A3 with the leaves of the olive branch.

I'd call it a nice VF-20 thumbsup2.gif

I came up with O-102. The shape and position of S13 immediately limits the possiblities to 102 and 103, then the relationship of I in AMERICA to the leaf at its right foot confirms O-102, an R2 variety.

...and a lovely coin to boot!

Well now that we have it attributed, I think it looks like a nice XF, maybe higher depending on luster remaining. A great coin!

Yes, PCGS XF40 ... it has amazing eye appeal in hand. In fact, I left the show empty handed and on the way home I decided that I needed to turn around and go back for it. I figured that if I had that much non-buyer's remorse on the way home, it would be killing me by tomorrow if I didn't go back and give it a happy home ...

smile.gif