• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln cent advice

7 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to place my lincoln cent collection in Dansco Albums. From 1941 through 2007 is uncirculated including proofs. 1909 through 1940S are EF-BU

My question is if there is a cleaner of some kind for copper that does not harm the coins only to protect them from verdigris or clean some grime from the circulated coins. I do not wish in any way to enhance their looks other than to clean them. I do not wish to let them soak in olive oil for 6 months. If it exists what is the name of it. If it is a bad idea, tell me as I truly value your opinions. Thanks a lot.

Well, acetone will only remove PVC as far as I'm aware. He's talking about protecting them from verdigris and other common copper ailments.

To protect from verdigris, instead of the Danscos, you might want to use an Intercept Shield album.

Simple soap and water can clean away grime.

I've used a product called Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner and Preservative a few times with great success. Here is a small description.

"Professional Coin Conditioner and Preservative. Blue Ribbon removes soil and coatings from coins, leaving a natural finish and color. Blue Ribbon adds a lubricant as a protective film."

Just Google it to find more about it.

Most modern albums have little, if any, residual acids in them from the paper manufacture process and contain few sulfur-based contaminants. Therefore, most modern albums pose little danger to circulated copper over time.