• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1809 CBH Need some Overton help!

23 posts in this topic

Ok, so some of you know that I seem to be developing an obsession with the 1809 dated halves! Last week I bought this 1809 that's in pretty low grade, but to be honest I put in a low ball bid on eBay and was surprised I won it. Anyhow, I am still waiting for it in the mail, but tonight I decided to try to attribute it from the sellers photos, and I just need someone to help me confirm the variety. These images are the seller's, so I apologize in advance if they are not great. Thanks for the help!

53593428_tp.jpg

53593451_tp.jpg

Here are links to the supersized images:

Obverse

Reverse

Thanks Jim, I am not sure I agree. Take a close look at star 4 and between the scroll and the eagle's head and I think you will see what I am talking about. Look at the U as well...

Well with the reverse segments, its either an O-102/O-102a (both common) or an O-110, which is an R-4. Both die pairings have the same reverse. I think I see a faint die crack running through star 4 on the obverse, which would make it an O-110. I think its an O-110. Nice piece!

I think I agree with Shortgapbob, there should also be some lumps of metal after the die crack at star 4, but I think that with the wear, you end up with that strange wear pattern in the field instead of the lumps. If it's an O-110, that's an R.4, my rarest die pairing for this date, and the cheapest of this date I've purchased at $31 delivered!

Check the edge. It may be a XXXX edge. We will want photos of it as well (the edge). Looks like it probably is a 110.

You're right, I didn't even think about the edge, so I will take photos and post them when it arrives.

That's a very nice Bust Half.

I agree, it's either a 102 or 110 because all 102's and most 110's bear the scroll marks above the head of the Eagle, both have the recut U, but only the 110 has that die crack through star 4, which I can't see clearly but I believe it's there (you'd have to examine it yourself to figure that out), in which case, you have an extremely difficult Overton number to locate and a scarce coin. Congratulations on your find!

i just got my book ov overtons yesterday! and it is funnnnnn!

on the 09' o-103 r u going off the stars then? cause the B secion says tool mark in right wing.so does this coin have the wing mark on rev and a star prob on obv? and if so how can u tell with so much ware?

hey Jeff,

I saw the recut U but didn't feel the stars 11/12 looked to have star points closer together like the photo in the book, nor does the photo show the stars drawing toward the rim as in your photos. Also the right side of the T and I are inline on your photo as are the D and E. For the O-101 the sample photo shows the right side of the I to be inside the column of the T and the right side of the E is well inside the D and not right side even DE as the descriiption shows for 103. That was the reason for my logic, if it is indeed a O-101 I apologize, but you can see why I selected as I did.

Jim

Man, Jeff-I do apologize, I completely missed the 110--did not even read it. I don't know how but all the evidence except the right side alignment of the TI and DE are there. With the way the T is sometimes tilted I guess that is not a written in concrete method of deduction. Again, excuse my oversight.

No worries Jim, it's hard to attribute CBHs from photos, let alone coins with significantly more wear than the illustrations in the book! Heck many times I screw up even when I have the coin in hand! The real key when I receive the coin is to look for evidence of the die break on the obverse at star 4 and the XXX edge.

Well, I got the coin today, and unfortunately due to the weak, the edge lettering is very hard to make out, though there is a lot of space between dollar and fifty, so I think that would be where the XXX would be. I did confirm however that there is a very nice and pronounced die break through star 4, so I am fairly convinced that this is an O-110. I will post photos this weekend.

Nice! Here is the pic of my O-102 edge for comparison (and so you don't need to search the forum):

XXX.jpg

A bunch of sloppy chicken scratches, but there are what looks like xes there somewhere. grin.gif

Hmmm...then maybe that is what it was supposed to look like. I just thought mine was really beat up, but it looks like yours at the center of the photo.

Hmmm...then maybe that is what it was supposed to look like. I just thought mine was really beat up, but it looks like yours at the center of the photo.

Yes, the xes are not what you'd think. I believe Mike King has a pic of one around someplace as well.

Well, I got the coin today, and unfortunately due to the weak, the edge lettering is very hard to make out, though there is a lot of space between dollar and fifty, so I think that would be where the XXX would be. I did confirm however that there is a very nice and pronounced die break through star 4, so I am fairly convinced that this is an O-110. I will post photos this weekend.

I'm glad that it looks to be an O-110 to you. I still think that it is an O-110.

I'm glad that it looks to be an O-110 to you. I still think that it is an O-110.

I think we agree then?

I could not get a good photo of the edge, but here are a couple of closeups of the die crack through star 4:

1809o1101.JPG

1809o1102.JPG