• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago Mid-America Report

20 posts in this topic

Interesting show - set up on Thursday next to Foodude, slowest day at any show I can remember. Very quiet and any activity was dealer to dealer. Friday was much better - walked around and noted that there was not a lot of nice material available - but activity was much better - met James-EarlyUS who was set up next to my friend Dennis Tarrent - spent a little time talking about toning on CBHs and the fact that there are very few bust halves (if any) with original surfaces - Also had a very interesting discussion with James regarding toning.

Spent a little time at my table and sold about two dozen CWTs to a couple of dealers. Saturday was very interesting - one of the dealers who had purchased a few CWTs came back 1st thing Sat morning - looked thru my 2 cases of CWTs and bought about 80 more - seems CWTs are hot right now as earlier last week another major CWT dealer tried to buy all my CWTs

Anyone know what's going on w/CWTs right now?

All in all a very interesting show. I had a "few" of my nice toners on display - if you didn't see them at the show, here's are a couple that were at the show for your viewing pleasure:

TheChristmasTree.jpg

81-SMooseSlab-1.jpg

(the chicken stopped by and had his picture taken with the "Moose") - see madmarty's thread here:

linky )

Anyone who bought 2 toners from me got a free jar of jewel-luster devil.gif

Good show report, interesting about the CWTs. Speaking of James, I got a card in the mail today and have a package to pick up from him on Monday!

I believe it means "Civil War Token."

Huh, whaddya' know! With Ron I figured it meant Cr@ppy White Trash... grin.gif

Thanks for the report Ron!

Nice report. Thanks.

As for the Civil War Tokens, I have noticed these faring better at smaller auctions. I have also talked to more people who are interested in CWT reference material, as they are looking to collect them and want to learn about the varieties and their respective raritites. I think its just an area of the market that more collectors are starting to venture into.

I believe it means "Civil War Token."

Huh, whaddya' know! With Ron I figured it meant Cr@ppy White Trash... grin.gif

Thanks for the report Ron!

Sy, most are copper and NOT white - in fact most are nicely toned - most of the "cr@ppy white trash" that I own are either proof or cameos - wink.gif some look like this:

1858-1c-J193-Proof-Obv-1.jpg

I even have a couple of Morgans that look like this:

81-SMS68Obv.jpg

I believe that Flyer is a J193 small cent pattern and dated 1858 (much rarer than the 1856 and 1/5th the price) A great coin. thumbsup2.gif

Boiler is correct - Here's a couple of more from my Pattern set

1858-1c-J213-P258-Obverse-2.jpg

1858-1c-J202-P246-Obverse-1.jpg

Now THAT is a PURTY '56!!! hail.gif

Nice coins Ron and I thought it meant Copper Without Tone.1859178-36_1_11.gif

I actually prefer my copper "with tone" - so for me CWT could well be "Copper WITH Toning" - see below! (or for the traditionalists Civil War Tokens).

1885GreenMeenie.jpg

My bad, well a cool looking pattern, as is the other one posted. Not to mention the nice toner IHC.

Spent a little time at my table and sold about two dozen CWTs to a couple of dealers. Saturday was very interesting - one of the dealers who had purchased a few CWTs came back 1st thing Sat morning - looked thru my 2 cases of CWTs and bought about 80 more

Sounds like you were selling them too cheap. 27_laughing.gif