• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881-CC Morgan

38 posts in this topic

I just need to add that if the pics are taking away any luster in the fields of this coin, that it wouldn't surprise me if this thing doesn't go DMPL. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am not sure. I just purchased it, these are the seller's pictures not mine. It sure looks as if it will be DMPL.

Regardless, it will make a nice addition to my set.

I am not sure. I just purchased it, these are the seller's pictures not mine. It sure looks as if it will be DMPL.

Regardless, it will make a nice addition to my set.

That is an understatement. It will make a beautiful addition to your set. thumbsup2.gif

Well, I will not be dipping it as I have never dipped a coin and this is not a coin I am willing to start with. I may send it to NCS and then to NGC.

I agree with the MS62 grade, but PL or DMPL is where I'm stuck. Very nice deep black mirrors, PL now - DMPL after a dip.

Looks like we are on the same wavelength with this one chad. I thought the same thing, just didn't say it. Depending on what it looked like in-hand, I would have to quick dip to get that DMPL.

NCS may be able to help. I would reccomend it if you don't want to dip it yourself. They could likely make the coin look like a proof thumbsup2.gif

Attractive coin, with very nice cameo contrast. 893applaud-thumb.gif I'm not so sure a dip will make it a dmpl. After all, a dmpl has to do with the depth of the mirrors, not how they look per se. Still with that sort of cameo contrast it's worth a shot.

I agree Skyman. It looks to have DMPL mirrors to me due to the darkness of the fields going by the pic. The dip would merely make it stand out better by removing what looks to be some minor spotting.

I think I would want to check it closely for artificial frosting. The frost seems to spill out onto the field in some areas. Most noticeably around the nose, mouth and the junction of neck and jaw, and around the eagles neck on the reverse.

I think I would want to check it closely for artificial frosting. The frost seems to spill out onto the field in some areas. Most noticeably around the nose, mouth and the junction of neck and jaw, and around the eagles neck on the reverse.

This is what I was seeing as some type of haze. This would be more the issue if this is a DMPL. No proof is exempt from that.

Is that a huge scrape I'm seeing across the cheek? And another scratch starting at the tip of the nose and moving NW 2/3 of the way toward the "E"?

MS-60 PL.

bumpit.gif

Well, I got the coin and while there is some hazing it is not to the extent of the pictures. I have it packaged and ready to go to NCS but I am not 100% sure there is anything they can do.

It is definitly proof like with mirror fields, but I can see lines all in the fields, not sure if they are die polish lines or lines from a cleaning.

I will keep everyone updated. Regardless of the outcome it will make a nice addition to my Morgan Dansco album.

No I haven't. I've bid on a couple of their CC dmpls before without winning (I may actually have bid on this one), and who could forget the distinct style of their descriptions. wink.gif

:bump:

Tell me what you think of this coin.

1881ccdmpldp4.jpg1881ccdmplreversenr6.jpg

Well, this finally got through the NCS and NGC process, MS 62 DPL :banana: :banana: :banana::cloud9: :cloud9: