• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early British Colonial Coin???

6 posts in this topic

I am hoping someone can tell me something about this coin (or what is left of it). There is not a lot of detail to observe on it, but some kind of idea on origin, type, and hopefully time frame?

Thanks,

Rey

EarlyBritishColonialObv.jpg

EarlyBritishColonialRev.jpg

Looks like my 1697 Great Britain 1/2 Penny. I don't know if it's the same denomination, or even the same century, but the design is the same.

Well, the top (reverse) legend looks to start with an capital "I," wheras the bottom (obverse) legend seems to start with an A. I thus don't think it's British, but rather either a Connecticut or Vermont copper of the 1785-88 timeframe. Both will have the legend "INDE ET LIB" on the reverse and either "AUCTORI CONNEC" or "AUCTORI VERMON" on the obverse depending on the state. Ask in the US forum, there are people there who know more about colonials than I do.

Well, the top (reverse) legend looks to start with an capital "I," wheras the bottom (obverse) legend seems to start with an A. I thus don't think it's British, but rather either a Connecticut or Vermont copper of the 1785-88 timeframe. Both will have the legend "INDE ET LIB" on the reverse and either "AUCTORI CONNEC" or "AUCTORI VERMON" on the obverse depending on the state. Ask in the US forum, there are people there who know more about colonials than I do.

I think you are spot on there AegisIII i would narrow it down to the 1786 Connecticut due to the position of the letters visable and the connecticut coppers seem to be struck on imperfect planchets just like this one also brittanias branch is stick like and the leaves are not conected to it.. hi.gif nice find there rey

Thank you Aegis and Wayne,

I posted under new acquisitions in the US Forum to see what I can find out.

Rey,