• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical: You and a dealer submit coins to a TPG

16 posts in this topic

This isn't something that has happened to me or anyone I know - it's a true hypothetical...

So you go to a dealer to submit a nice modern coin you recently got from the mint. You have looked at the coin and think it could go 70. The dealer also has one of the same issue and he thinks his might go 70 as well, so you agree that the dealer will submit the two coins to a TPG in one batch.

One coin comes back 69, and one comes back 70. We'll assume there's a big price gap between the grades. Is there any way to tell which of you struck it big, and which of you didn't (i.e., can you tell which one of your coins was the one that got a 70)?

Yes, the certificate number. The dealer should know which coin was put on the invoice first - his or yours. The certificate number will (usually) follow the order of the coins submitted.

I would personally place them apart on the invoice so there was no chance of a mix up.

I agree with greg. I've never submitted and don't know all the guidelines but I do know that I would make sure that both were submitted under different forms as to keep track of each other.

Yes, the certificate number. The dealer should know which coin was put on the invoice first - his or yours. The certificate number will (usually) follow the order of the coins submitted.

I would personally place them apart on the invoice so there was no chance of a mix up.

If possible/practical, I'd go a step further and submit them on different invoices.

If that can't be done, I'd scratch one of them in order to make them easy to distinguish from one another.devil.gif

Whoops, please ignore that last suggestion. foreheadslap.gif

wink.gif

If that can't be done, I'd scratch one of them in order to make them easy to distinguish from one another.devil.gif

wink.gif

Scratch the dealers coin, right Mark? 27_laughing.gif

Of course, you could also take photos of your coin before you turn it over to the dealer. Obviously, if one came back 69, there must be some reason for it. One would think you would be able to see the similarity or difference in the photos.

Chris

If possible/practical, I'd go a step further and submit them on different invoices.

wink.gif

Either that, or you could engrave your SSN on the edge with a Dremel. makepoint.gif "Scratch" that idea, too! screwy.gif

Chris

Of course, you could also take photos of your coin before you turn it over to the dealer. Obviously, if one came back 69, there must be some reason for it. One would think you would be able to see the similarity or difference in the photos.

Chris

Chris, I'm not convinced that the reason one graded 69 and the other 70 would be an obvious/good/legitimate one, much less one that could be seen in an image. Remember, such distinctions are likely merely a matter of nothing other than luck.

I've wondered about this, too. The few coins I submited for grading before doing direct submissions were unique coins that it was easy to tell (e.g., 1909-S VDB, etc.). Since I joined the ANA, I directly submit and don't worry about it.

BTW: I am willing to work with board members to submit coins on their behalf. Along with my ANA privleges with NGC, I also have an ANACS and ICG aacount. You can do ANACS without an account and the ICG account is easy. But if you are only doing a few coins at a time, I can work with you. You just pay the grading service fees and shipping costs.

Scott hi.gif

Chris

Chris, I'm not convinced that the reason one graded 69 and the other 70 would be an obvious/good/legitimate one, much less one that could be seen in an image. Remember, such distinctions are likely merely a matter of nothing other than luck.

Mark, I'm not entirely in disagreement with your premise. However, not too long back, I submitted the 20th Anniversary SAE's, and those that graded 69 had the most minute nicks which could hardly be seen without the aid of a loupe. However, when they were photographed, the marks were readily visible.

Chris

I'm saving that one for posterity. devil.gif

your sh*t outta luck

it is the dealers coin

yourcoin he will give you back will be the proof69

Michael, so you're saying that all dealers would either fail to keep track of which coin was which or would take advantage of the client?

If so, you know better than that and shame on you for that comment. Often, that which is more fun to post and which makes for more entertaining reading isn't what's accurate/correct.

I'm saving that one for posterity. devil.gif

As you should have sorry.gif I had meant to include a modifier, such as "sometimes".

mark as it pertains to ga-ga grade ms/pr 69-70 moderns but mostly ultra modern coins ie. post 1995 in my experiences as such the dealers really do not differenciate between same submitted coins and once holdered they will keep the higher graded one

as in their minds eye it is essentially the same coin except for the plastic holder but of course it is liking ro taking the biggest most icing laden slice of cake on the tray if offered first even though all the slices are basically the same give or take

I did this with a co-worker and the SAEs last year.

We took pics and notes. When the coins came back, a few were 70s and the others were 68s and 69s.

His, although ordered at the same time, had a few die characteristics that we were able to use to match the coins....kind of like the SAEs that have that little die characteristic on the sun for a few years.

Once we got the coins back from PCGS, we opened them together and had the notes for the coins. There was no arguing and they were easy to see.

Though, I doubt all would be as easy as that.