• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SkyMan's '53 PF Frankie-Guess the grade

13 posts in this topic

Here are 4 different images of the same 1953 Franklin Proof belonging to SkyMan. Yes it's Sy's, even though it's not a toner. First one to guess the grade, gets the coin. Just kidding Sy. grin.gif

First the obverse

1953obv782.jpg

1953obv787.jpg

1953obv788.jpg

1953AMobv816.jpg

Reverse

1953rev789.jpg

1953rev792.jpg

1953rev793.jpg

1953AMrev819.jpg

Lovely images Bob! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm kind of intrigued by the final obverse image. It makes it appear that the frost extends into the field just below Ben's mouth. Frost bleeding out into the fields is one sign of artificial frosting. Needless to say that's not a problem with this coin, but it'll be interesting to see what is going on when I get it back.

How did you capture such different results?

The bottom images were taken with no light other than the light allowed in by an open curtain. The others with two OTT lights in various positions and elevations. I have to say that quite a lot of other shots didn't fare as well.

You guys are good. It is graded as an NGC PF67 Cameo and it is a beauty and pretty rare in that grade with only 20 graded higher.

Here are 4 different images of the same 1953 Franklin Proof belonging to SkyMan. Yes it's Sy's, even though it's not a toner. First one to guess the grade, gets the coin. Just kidding Sy. grin.gif

First the obverse

1953obv782.jpg

1953obv787.jpg

1953obv788.jpg

1953AMobv816.jpg

Reverse

1953rev789.jpg

1953rev792.jpg

1953rev793.jpg

1953AMrev819.jpg

who did the images? they are remarkable!

I really like those images that capture the mirrored fields as pools of mercury, then the ones that show off the frosted devices like they are floating on a black back drop.

The only thing I can detect is just below Ben's side burn...a carbon spot?

None the less, a stunning 53' cameo!

What's not to like about this Frankie?

LucyBop's gonna be jealous Sky wink.gif