• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened at the Mint to cause this?

11 posts in this topic

Not meaning to argue, but compared having it on both scales and a MIcromenter with roughly 30 other quarters, both Statehood and not, the results remained the same.

It does not apear to have been flattened in any way, even the reeding on the edges is uniform as well.

I was just hoping to find another reason other than "someone tried to flatten it or something after it left the mint"

Thanks anyway

I really appreciate the responses... I suppose either way it is not really worth wasting much time on, I just let my curiosity get the best of me..

Thanks guys

The only way something like that happened at the mint would be if it is laying on the floor and they keep running the forklift over it while carrying tote bins of coins or planchets. And at some point they almost miss it and it goes shooting across the floor hitting something and putting a big ol nick in the edge. Then someone tosses it into a passing tote bin of quarters.

(Beating on a coin will not change its weight, and a couple good whacks can wipe out much of the design without changing the diameter. If you keep whacking it it will eventually start getting bigger but usually the first couple don't cause a real change.)