• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake Adams smooth edge?

21 posts in this topic

It looks as if someone has done a job to this one as you can see three layers on the edge similar to the article on the Washington dollar provided by NGC.

i see the oreo look on the side and dont think they r supposed to look like that! looks like he / she ground it down tooooo far!

That, is called a post mint alteration. Those are marks left by grinding away (not cutting with a tooling lathe) then attempting to polish the clad metal surface.

The planchet cutting dies left verticle striations in the edge of Presidential coins which remain even after edge lettering and die striking. Those markings in the auction go parallel to the edge indicating metal movement by another means.

Stay away...far away.

I see what you mean Construct. No doubt this seller sells 'quality coins', at least as far as his auctions appear. The page of past auctions I looked at were pretty awesome. Doesn't appear to be a totally non creditable seller, but then who knows.

I don't think I would buy a smoothe edge unless it was already holdered. Scammers are smart, they will attack the unsuspecting. NGC is already aware of fakes and I'm sure that any that are slabbed by them will be legit. I'll wait til I can afford one in a slab.

BTW, I'm showing my FDCC of these being shipped out today! yay.gif

I see what you mean Construct. No doubt this seller sells 'quality coins', at least as far as his auctions appear. The page of past auctions I looked at were pretty awesome. Doesn't appear to be a totally non creditable seller, but then who knows.

Did you look at the pictures? I looked at nearly a dozen of them, and I didn't find one that I would even nibble at. Take a look at the 1914-D Lincoln or the 1909-S IHC as examples. I suspect of the 14-D to be an altered date and the 09-S to be dipped and partially retoned. There were whizzed coins. There were cleaned coins. There were grossly overgraded coins. And they were all raw. I wonder why. Coins of the caliber of the descriptions would normally be already slabbed if they were any good, and this seller sells them by the fistfulls.

Obviously, I did not look at the coins very closely individually, just the date/mint marks and a few quick glances. I did take some time on two or three coins and I see what you mean. Sorry I didn't do my homework better, Construct. Odd, that many of his auction winners didn't complain especially as high as some of the auctions closed.

The eBay auction listed in the OP is a definite fake.

Odd, that many of his auction winners didn't complain especially as high as some of the auctions closed.

Not surprising. You didn't think anything was wrong with his auctions until the problems were pointed out to you. Most likely his previous victims did not had that done for them before they left feedback. There are a LOT of novices out there buying coins for a lot more money than they are worth, and they don't learn until later that they have been taken. (At which point a lot of the coins come back up on the market and sold with the "I don't know much about coins" line to yet even more novices.)