• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coronation coin/medal?

4 posts in this topic

Sorry if this isn't in the right place..

I have something driving me a little crazy.

A friend asked for my help tracking down a medal/coin he recently inherited.

I can't seem to fin any trace of it's exsistance to know if it was an official medal or not.

elizabethii1953jr0.jpg

I don't even understand what the image is meant to be depicting[/img]

Sorry if this isn't in the right place..

I have something driving me a little crazy.

A friend asked for my help tracking down a medal/coin he recently inherited.

I can't seem to fin any trace of it's exsistance to know if it was an official medal or not.

elizabethii1953jr0.jpg

I don't even understand what the image is meant to be depicting[/img]

Hi there and welcome to the site

I can tell you that this is not an RM Official Medal

thats about all i can tell you about it but i have a feeling it is from Canada as it looks like others i have seen from there..

all the best dooly

This is catalogued in the book British Historical Medals 1760-1960 by Laurence Brown as BHM 4443. Minted in Silver and bright Bronze, 37mm in size. The obverse was engraved by G. H. Paulin and the reverse by A. Toft and manufactured by the Mint, Birmingham Ltd. Both the silver and bright bronze are listed as very common.

The obverse is described as: Crowned, draped bust of Queen Elizabeth II, right.

The reverse is described as: The Imperial Crown in the ship of state sailing left, two females standing in the stern blowing trumpets. On a narrow border around, above: ELIZABETH II Below: 2 June 1953

The obverse design was used on several different coronation medals and was supplied by the Royal Mint from designs by G. H. Paulin. The reverse design is similar to designs produced by A. Toft for the coronation of George V and George VI.

It should be noted that no official commemorative Coronation medals were struck by the Royal Mint. They did however, provide the obverse dies used for this, and other Coronation medals to private companes.