• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Advice on preparing Indian Cents for Dansco

15 posts in this topic

I have my collection of mostly VF to some EF Indian Head cents in a roll right now. My new Dansco just arrived today. I opened the roll and saw that many of the coins have crud/dirt caked into the details and just two or three have some light verdigris (spelling sorry). I will usually acetone my silver but what if anything do you do to copper to ensure no further degradation prior to inserting into album?

Also what do you think is the best way to loosen some of that dirt without damaging the coins? Does acetone change toning on the copper?

first what i would do is go to the store

but a small bottle of pure 100% pure alcohol

or as it is callled de-natured alcohol

put all the indian head cents that are really dirty AND/OR have verdigris on them in a medium glass bowl and pour the denatured alcohol over all the indian head cents that have the cursty ditry surfaces over them. also the indian head cents that have some extremely light deposits of light verdgris over them, also the indian head cents that might have the blue ribbon-care or olive oil from past cleaning or oilings

let them sit overnight--at least 20 hours in the de-natured alcohol and all this gunk will soak off them. do not rub or mechnically clean them the alcohol will do all the work

now you are ready to put them in the album

i would not use the dansco album i would buy one of those 100% archival indian head cent albums that are really similar to the dansco album. you buy these archival albums from littleton coin co.

then you got to store the album in an intersept shield bag also enclosed in an airtight large ziploc bag with a package of silica gel for moisture protection

good luck with it thumbsup2.gif

love the set

good luck

in fact if it was me i would NEVER put them in a dansco album

i would individually put each indian head cent in an airtight with the white round outer ring and then figure some way to display them in some sort of order in some sort of album

that way they are well protected and stored besides being the best presentation possible allowing each coin to be individually handled and shown off if you wish to take specific coins out to examine by yourself or with friends and also take with you to show and tell

or you are seeking an upgrade on the bourse

I knew this question would open up the gates on methods. I am not inclined to clean the coins but there are less than six with more than their share of caked on debris. One coin has a light case of the green. I may try one or more methods on some non-album coins as a test. Thanks for all the input.

What is wrong with using Dansco albums for circulated coin storage, or for that matter with uncirculated silver storage? The slides are PVC free and the paper I am sure is somewhat stable.

I knew this question would open up the gates on methods. I am not inclined to clean the coins but there are less than six with more than their share of caked on debris. One coin has a light case of the green. I may try one or more methods on some non-album coins as a test. Thanks for all the input.

What is wrong with using Dansco albums for circulated coin storage, or for that matter with uncirculated silver storage? The slides are PVC free and the paper I am sure is somewhat stable.

That's what I'd like to know. I have a lincoln set in a dansco and they look good to me?? confused-smiley-013.gifThen my SAE's and my Buffalo's.

No, I do not think so. I know Littleton has proposed to make archival quality albums but I do not know if they are in production yet.

nothing but this is the way i would do things now the dansco is fine in fact great if you got circ. indian cents worth mostly 25 dollars or less per coin i would worry more with the key and semi key dates