• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The future of the golden dollar

43 posts in this topic

Well, I was thinking about this today, and I will pose the question to the forum. When President Reagan passes on (I am not trying to jinx him, but death is inevitable) should he be honored on a US coin?

Now, keep in mind that I am a strong opponent of having any presidents on our coins, which is why I tend to collect pre-presidential series, but I have faced the reality, albeit reluctantly, that presidents and historical figures appear to be here to stay. So if President Reagan should be honored on a coin, should he replace Sacagawea on the golden dollar? I choose this coin, since it has such a short history, and I doubt many people are really attached to it as they are the other denominations with longer histories and political ties (read: Virginia).

Finally, if President Reagan were to replace Sacagawea, would that at all improve the coin's flagging popularity? Now, it's a given that eliminating the dollar bill is the only real solution to the dollar coin's lack of use, but let's try to avoid that issue here.

What do you think?

Removing an indian woman from a coin to replace with a white man? shocked.gif The ACLU will be filing lawsuits and people will be protesting.

I'm only half joking.

While I think that Reagan was a very good president, I'm not too sure that he should be on a coin so quickly after his death. For stamps it has to be 25 years. I wouldn't mind seeing Reagan on a coin, but quite a bit after his death. If we are going to put him on a coin right after his death, I think it should be a commemorative.

Short of putting a naked woman on the coin, there is nothing that will make it more popular due to the fact you mentioned.

For stamps it has to be 25 years. I wouldn't mind seeing Reagan on a coin, but quite a bit after his death.

And make that "my death" as well? 27_laughing.gif If Reagan does get on a coin and it's just a matter of time, his face will probably resemble that cat who stole christmas from those whoville critters. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

There is a bill currently in Congress (H. R. 1016) to replace the current dollar coin with one to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.. Here is link to bill

LINK

CHRIS

There are WAY too many better people ahead of Reagan in line to be placed on a US coin. At last count, Reagan is 1,345,120th in line, just ahead of Carrotop and Cher.

TRUTH

For stamps it has to be 25 years.

Greg, are you referring to definitives here? It's clearly not true where commemorative stamps are concerned. For one thing, Bugs Bunny isn't dead wink.gif. Commemoratives routinely honor individuals well before they've been dead 25 years.

On the subject of this thread, I'm inclined to agree with crito - a commemorative coin celebrating the end of the cold war would be a fine way to remember President Reagan.

Beijim

Here is some info on people on stamps and how to get on one.

As of March 2001, these are the Committee's Stamp Subject Selection Criteria

1. It is a general policy that U.S. postage stamps and stationery primarily will feature American or American-related subjects.

2. No living person shall be honored by portrayal on U.S. postage.

3. Commemorative stamps or postal stationery items honoring individuals usually will be issued on or in conjunction with significant anniversaries of their birth, but no postal item will be issued sooner than ten years after the individual's death. The only exception to the ten-year rule is the issuance of stamps honoring deceased U.S. presidents. They may be honored with a memorial stamp on the first birth anniversary following death.

4. Events of historical significance shall be considered for commemoration only on anniversaries in multiples of 50 years.

5. Only events and themes of widespread national appeal and significance will be considered for commemoration. Events or themes of local or regional significance may be recognized by a philatelic or special postal cancellation, which may be arranged through the local postmaster.

6. Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor fraternal, political, sectarian, or service/charitable organizations. Stamps or stationery shall not be issued to promote or advertise commercial enterprises or products. Commercial products or enterprises might be used to illustrate more general concepts related to American culture.

7. Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor cities, towns, municipalities, counties, primary or secondary schools, hospitals, libraries, or similar institutions. Due to the limitations placed on annual postal programs and the vast number of such locales, organizations and institutions in existence, it would be difficult to single out any one for commemoration.

8. Requests for observance of statehood anniversaries will be considered for commemorative postage stamps only at intervals of 50 years from the date of the state's first entry into the Union. Requests for observance of other state-related or regional anniversaries will be considered only as subjects for postal stationery, and again only at intervals of 50 years from the date of the event.

9. Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor religious institutions or individuals whose principal achievements are associated with religious undertakings or beliefs.

10. Stamps or postal stationery items with added values, referred to as "semi-postals," shall be issued every two years in accordance with Public Law 106253. Semi-postals will not be considered as part of the commemorative program and separate criteria will apply.

11. Requests for commemoration of universities and other institutions of higher education shall be considered only for stamped cards and only in connection with the 200th anniversaries of their founding.

12. No stamp shall be considered for issuance if one treating the same subject has been issued in the past 50 years. The only exceptions to this rule are traditional themes such as national symbols and holidays.

It's from: Stamp Site

Awww...I wanted Carrottop. Damn...

NO, I do NOT think Ray-gun should be on any regularly circulating coin, nor do I think any other ex-presidents. Nor do I think King should be on any coin. In all cases except maybe a commem or some sort....

Fact is, I like the "gold" coin as it is. I think it is a great design except for possibly the metal they used 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm also pissed those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in Congress let the Virginia delegation get away with murder keeping Montecello on the nickel (or was it just Jefferson...I don't remember). Screw 'em. I think the designs should change every 25 years. PERIOD.

This country is all hung up on PC non-sense and stagnation (ie see Virginia). The more we are free to change our designs the less likely will be stuck with crappy coinage for too long...

jom

Much as you may disagree with President Reagan on a personal level, and as much as your politics may disagree with him, you must admit that he was one of the most popular presidents of the 20th century. Personally, I think FDR was one of the worst, anti-American presidents of the last 226 years, but I realize that he was incredibly popular, and he did lead us through WWII, and probably deserves to be honored on a coin. I don't care much for Kennedy either, and I firmly believe had he lived out his term, we'd be collecting clad Franklins today. So try to put aside personal politics for a minute.

As for the 25 year rule, I'm not sure where that came from, but I have only 3 responses to that: The Roosevelt Dime, Kennedy Half and Eisenhower Dollar.

The fact of the matter is that I too would prefer to avoid presidents on our coins, instead opting for depictions of liberty, but the reality is that presidents on coins are here to stay, and I believe that Reagan is probably the most deserving at this point, assinine comments about carrot top aside.

As for the 25 year rule, I'm not sure where that came from, but I have only 3 responses to that: The Roosevelt Dime, Kennedy Half and Eisenhower Dollar.

Congress passed a law long ago that the US Mint could change the designs on our coins as long as the design had been in place 25 years without additional Congressional approval. However, designs can change at any time if Congress so ordains it. That's why you got the Kennedy half dollar, the Susan B Anthony, and the Sacagawea dollars.

Keith,

I was referring to the rule that requires a person to be dead at least 25 years before being placed on coins or currency. I am not aware such a rule exists outside of postage stamps. None of the individuals on those three series were dead 25 years before being placed on those coins. As for a design change, to change the dollar would certainly require an act of congress.

The reason dead presidents are here to stay is that coinage has somehow become politicians pet PC programs. I'm sure it will be a push to have Reagan put on a coin. I just wish it could be a commem rather than a regular circulating coin.

BTW, if Reagan is put on a coin, believe me, MLK will soon follow...

Yes, the 25 year rule was legislation for the mint not a "years dead" thing...

jom

Putting aside personal politics...

I don't think any president should be on a standard issue coin. Commemoratives only. Part of the reason is that it's all about personal politics and popularity contests. Popularity speaks nothing of efficacy. I thought Reagan was a joke for a president (and Governor) and that the truly great presidents end with Truman; but I'd accept any of them on a commemorative. So, I think you invite all kinds of personal politics when you start talking about presidents on coins. There's simply no getting around the personal philosophical viewpoint when whenever you mention placing a person on a coin, as this thread did. That's why I believe that all of our circulating coinage should speak for the nation at large with allegorical figures of Liberty and other tenets on which this nation was founded.

Isn't it one of the wonderful things about this country that we can disagree about personal politics, say what we want to about it, and still stand together?

Hoot

Reagan on a coin? Sure, the Iran-Contra commemorative, with Reagan on one side, Ollie North and Poindexter on the other. Or maybe the Nixon coin, with Nixon on one side and the Plumber group on the other? Great Americans should be on circulating coins, MLK, Bobby Kennedy, persons who did good things for Americans, not for Corporate America.

TRUTH

Reagan on a coin? Sure, the Iran-Contra commemorative, with Reagan on one side, Ollie North and Poindexter on the other. Or maybe the Nixon coin, with Nixon on one side and the Plumber group on the other? Great Americans should be on circulating coins, MLK, Bobby Kennedy, persons who did good things for Americans, not for Corporate America.

TRUTH

Yes, MLK should be on a coin commemorating for plagiarizing a thesis. JFK on a coin showing how to cheat on your wife. We can put Bill Clinton on this coin after he dies and move JFK to how to get people killed by lying about providing them with air support commemorative. RFK on a coin honoring having sloppy seconds.

Oh hell, we can put the entire Kennedy family on one side and a tribute to how to be a [!@#%^&^] up scumbag family on the other side.

Every one of our President's have done things that were wrong, and that have hurt the nation, with the possible exception of William Henry Harrison. And even the other Americans you mention have had their share of misdeeds, but on balance they accomplished more good than bad for our nation. But of course truth, I am confident if you had your way, we would have your image on our coins as benevolent dictator that would expunge history of all the people and events you disagreed with.

I disagree with many things that Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson did, and I disagree with more than half the things that Kennedy and FDR did, but I recognize that all of them did more good for this nation than bad, and I firmly believe that Reagan did more good for this nation than bad. Personally, I don't really know what Sacagawea did for this nation, other than appease liberals hell-bent on political correctness on our currency. If you honestly believe that Robert Kennedy did more for this nation than Ronald Reagan, you are hopelessly delusional at best.

Finally, I will also have to disagree with your assertion that, "Great Americans should be on circulating coins," as I beleive the best coin designs do not depict any real person, but rather allegorical images that represent our nation.

TRUTH

Yes, MLK should be on a coin commemorating for plagiarizing a thesis. JFK on a coin showing how to cheat on your wife. We can put Bill Clinton on this coin after he dies and move JFK to how to get people killed by lying about providing them with air support commemorative. RFK on a coin honoring having sloppy seconds.

Oh hell, we can put the entire Kennedy family on one side and a tribute to how to be a [!@#%^&^] up scumbag family on the other side.

Even Mr.Kennedy Sr for enslaving thousands of Irish Immagrents As soon as they got off the boat.

TRUTH

Even Mr.Kennedy Sr for enslaving thousands of Irish Immagrents As soon as they got off the boat.

And Teddy Kennedy for heroism in the face of water.;

My, my, my! I thought that this Board was about collecting coins? Personally, I feel that the only President, in my lifetime, that had the stones to be on a coin, is already (FDR). The rest will not be judged historically to be among the best. I certainly prefer Sac. to Ray-Gun, and frankly, most of the rest of the past (8) have not been great men.

The small Dollar coin does not seem to be gaining any support in this country. I think that it may well disappear.

Jtryka,

I find your personal attack to prove my case that when Reagan have nothing worthwhile to say, they pull out of their sack ignorance, low class, incivility and repulsion. Stick to coins, your hillbilly bumkin attitude is showing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Greg,

Would you really tear down a great social leader, because he plagarized a thesis, or tear down a great political leader because he cheated on his wife. INDEED, priorities are backwards here. Should we all have a squeaky clean moral leader, who brings the economy into ruin, sends young men and women into hopeless wartime situations, lets cronyism cloud his judgement? Give me a great leader over personal morality, ANY DAY. Greatness goes to the one who selflessly brings UP America, not tear it down.

TRUTH

One of the things I would like to see after the State Quarter program is over is to have on the quarter every president on the front of the coins Staring with Washington and endeding with GW Bush. it would be done like the State Quarter program where we would do four or five a year with release date spread out over the year. The reverse of the coin would carry the old Quarter eagle. At the same time I would change the rest of the coins to images that repesent liberty. CHRIS

truth,

In reviewing my post, I believe there was one comment that I said sarcastically, which you might have offended you. And that prompts you to pull out, "sack ignorance, low class, incivility and repulsion" and "hillbilly bumkin attitude." So do these adjectives apply only to me for insulting you, or do they apply to anyone that doesn't agree with you? Should I expect a knock on the door by brownshirted jackbooted thugs to take me to your re-education camp?

It really doesn't take much to get the hackles of your own insecurities riled up does it?

From what I have seen on this board, you are an ignorant, arrogant [!@#%^&^], three qualities I loathe in people. You are exactly the type of person that ruined the PCGS boards, and now you are spreading that disease here.

If you choose to believe I'm an ignorant, low-class, repulsive hillbilly bumpkin, that's fine. At least I am not you.

PS-Is there an "ignore" feature on this board?

Nope, I don't buy it. YOU made the comments as a PERSONAL attack, as with other attacks on me in the past, in different forums, over many issues, all with similar abusive comments. I have yet to be the instigator with degrading personal comments. You could have left the comment out, but no, your agenda was clear. But, I can say this, someone makes the first degrading comment, then BOOM, I'll retaliate, similar with GMarguli's no nonsense approach to the boards. Please leave this in the Water Cooler. Now, back to coins.

TRUTH

Yes, you're right truth, I apologize. Is there anything else you'd like me to do? What should I be thinking right now? Reagan bad, RFK, MLK and truth good. Could you please send me a schedule of my daily activities? After all, I have turned a new leaf, I really do now want to be a mindless lemming following whatever it is you say.

No, I don't buy it. You come into every board I've seen with your arrogant self-righteous attitude and immediately launch into insults as soon as someone has the guts to disagree with the "gospel" that issues forth from the hole in the front of your face. Your arrogance is self evident, just look at your title on this board.

It seems abundantly clear that we do not like each other. So let's make a pact, I won't respond to your posts, nor will I post anything remotely relating to you, and you do the same. It's the only way we can both participate here.