• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS & NGC prices. Do you think

8 posts in this topic

This has something to do with population numbers. I'm using waynes reply to Ant's post on the boxes.

Those "free" boxes aren't free.

I just had a customer inquire about grading fees for his 2007 proof gold buffalo. He asked me to calculate fees for both NGC and PCGS with the First Strike/Early Release lablel. He just wanted to submit the one coin. Here's the tally:

NGC:

Earlybird grading fee $25

Early Release Cert $n/c

Return shipping $13.85

NGC Total $38.85

PCGS:

Regular grading fee $30

First Strike Cert fee $10

Invoice Fee $5

Return Shipping $13.85

PCGS Total $58.85

WH

Now this just made me do some thinking. I would think that these higher prices of PCGS's would be a large influence on where people choose to get thier coins graded. PCGS always shows lower population reports than NGC in most cases of higher grade. I've heard people say you can get more money for your coin in a PCGS slab. WHY?? I think NGC's coins are just as good and if not better in some cases. I know out of the Top 2 TPG's, I would choose the one that I could get more for my money. I also think that if this is a reason for lower Pop reports on PCGS slabs, that people are looking at slab value all wrong. I feel confident with both TPG's that my coin would be graded professionally and accurately. But I would go for the cheaper prices!! JMO

Edited, I checked both sites.

PCGS:Regular/earlybird- $30 5 coin min

NGC earlybird- $30 5 coin min

PCGS economy- $18 5 coin min

NGC economy- $16 5 coin min

PCGS express- $50 no coin min

NGC express- $55 no coin min.

I was going to just delete the post but I thought that I'd go ahead and post this anyway. I guess not much difference. I still stand behind my NGC slabs as much as I do the PCGS.

Wayne used an incorrect fee for NGC. He is listing $25 for Earlybird which is the dealer rate. He lists $30 for Regular at PCGS, but that is the retail rate. I believe the dealer rate is $27. Not a big deal, but it throws off his numbers by a few dollars.

He is also undercharging return shipping at NGC by at least $2.10 and probably more since the new postage rates. I suspect PCGS rates have changed also.

It's been a while since I did the math, but I think PCGS has a $5 charge built into their shipping fee structure each time another blue box is required to ship the order. Their $5 per invoice fee is another thing.

Speaking of fees, has anyone noticed that PCGS's "8 FREE submissions," given only with the Platinum level Collector's Club membership, are no longer free ?

From the site..................

GOLD MEMBERSHIP (1 Year)

One Year subscription to the Rare Coin Market Report (12 issues)

Direct Submission Privileges

Free Quarterly Grading Specials

One-Year subscription to the online PCGS Population ReportSM

10% off PCGS supplies

(Price...$99 )

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP (1 Year)

All of the above plus a voucher for eight FREE submissions

Valid for US and World Coins (Excluding Mint Errors, Special Issues and coins valued over $3,000. Turnaround time on submission is approximately 21 business days. All coins must be submitted at the same time.)

(Price...$199 )

Regardless of any differences between NGC and PCGS grading and postage charges, those are usually easily more than compensated for by either higher grades or higher prices that the coins can fetch. In other words, the cost of submission is often secondary in deciding which company to submit coins to.

Whatever the case, PCGS tried to monopolize the industry. e.g., you can only register PCGS encased coins in their registry.

The only reason I used PCGS is because their holder makes it easier on my eyes.

Otherwise, I would move all my coins to NGC, as PCGS is quite an insult to the way of American Industry, i.e,, you shouldn't HAVE to holder your coins in PCGS holders because that is all they allow in their registry, when the reason you supposedly SHOULD holder them in PCGS is because they're a good company (in terms of grading).

NGC has a far better registry, it allows dialogue within your registry set, about your coins, your thoughts, it allows dialogue between members, and they sponsor a board where collectors can air their thoughts without the impediment of excessive and unfair censorship and exclusion.

These are things to think about when using a company's services.

Whatever the case, PCGS tried to monopolize the industry. e.g., you can only register PCGS encased coins in their registry.

The only reason I used PCGS is because their holder makes it easier on my eyes.

Otherwise, I would move all my coins to NGC, as PCGS is quite an insult to the way of American Industry, i.e,, you shouldn't HAVE to holder your coins in PCGS holders because that is all they allow in their registry, when the reason you supposedly SHOULD holder them in PCGS is because they're a good company (in terms of grading).

Mike, if the primary reason certain people are getting their coins graded by PCGS is to be able to enter them into the PCGS registry, I submit to you that their priorities are in need of reassessment. devil.gif

Mark,

I agree with Mike's sentiments, almost word for word. While i also agree that you that it is silly to focus only on one brand of plastic (ie: ignoring the coin, and buying the holder), that happens a lot with PCGS's registry users. It is amazing to see the number of of posts on their BST where they are wanting to trade or sell their NGC coins to buy the same PCGS ones; in fact, i've read numerous threads where they will do it sight unseen! talk about silly!

I much prefer NGC because i collect mostly world issues; with these coins NGC's turnaround is much quicker, their prices are more reasonable, their customer service is superb and they have much more experience grading world coins than PCGS.