• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my first First Flight coin today...

15 posts in this topic

Nice looking coin, and I rather like the design, although I was in favor of the proposed Deadalus design when the coins were being worked up. And I also think this would have been a good opportunity for a double eagle commem, but the $10 coin is a nice size.

My only complaints are that the coins were not available as a set and, for THIS coin, the Mint encapsulated it with all kinds of dust! The capsule is replete with dust and the coin does not fit well (it rattles).

Hoot

589a8b2803939_245363-2003-W10FirstFlightPFobv.jpg.cc043ad8a4f08b3d9697a13147707c1f.jpg

I am planning on ordering them, but I think I will go for the unc $10 and half and the proof dollar, as I think the dollar would look better with cameo and the other two designs would look better unc.

I ordered 'em all. I would like the set in an NGC multiholder smile.gif.

BTW, I don't think they'll come close to selling out ANY of the coins - too big of mintage allowances. Congress should never allow the kinds of numbers of coins to be minted as they did with this series. If too many sell, they will have a crappy aftermarket, but the cost of the eagles may keep sales of those coins down.

Hoot

When I first showed my wife a picture of that coins she wanted to know why the Smothers Brothers were on a coin. smile.gif

I posted that comment on RCC a few days ago and it fell flat. Doesn't anyone remember these guys?

I do think the reverse is much nicer than the obverse.

that is a really neat coin hoot is it made out of gold????

also i would take it out of thre mint holder as i bet the rattling and dust with cause harm to the coin and i would definately get the coin into an ngc holder or that multi holder coin thing it would protect the coin and i bet if amny keep thier coins in this rattler holder from the mint with other foreign substnaces in with the coin it will turn the coin colors spots on the coin and if yours is in thre ngc holder it will hold up better technically wise over time!

well just a thought i never even knew they issued these and again is it gold???

michael

Hi Michael - Yes, it's a gold eagle with the same standard of the Indian $10, I believe. And I do plan on getting out of that holder! I ordered the set, so I am hoping to get them as a set into an NGC multiholder, but I have to wait for the announcement of that product's availability! 893whatthe.gif

IMO, it's one of the nicer recent commems, and so is the dollar (though I have not received one), but the half leaves a lot to be desired! shocked.gif

Hoot

No offense but I find that is a incredibly DULLARD design. I like the eagle on the back though... laugh.gif

jom

No offense taken - I can understand your point of view. I think the analogy to the Smothers Brothers is a good one! I like the reverse a fair bit, however. I simply wish that the Mint had had the balls to place something allegorical - like the proposed image of Deadalus - on the $10 coin. They could have placed that with the current reverse image and had a heck of a great coin. Imagine - a commem that allegorically spoke of something that represents both flight and freedom! The Mint could then have left the Wright brothers portrait for the $1, which, IMO, is a much better portrait; no mistaking them for the Smothers brothers there! laugh.gif

Hoot

I think that the biggest problems with the commemorative programs is that the laws specify way too much as to what should be on each coin. Why not tell a group of artists that you are going to commemorate the Wright Brothers and the First Flight, and see what they can come up with, instead of telling them to somehow fit a plane on a coin.